The Final Choice

"and there you have it. Free as a boid."

I looked around at my surroundings... I was out.

The metal gate stood proudly in front of me. Yancy standing on the other side. I had expected him to be on the outside with me. But he wasn't. There he stood, still inside the prison. I looked back at him.

"Yeah, oh, and I think this is youse's?" He held out the box. The large golden box that Mark and I had stolen all those years ago. It was within my grasp once again.

"Yeah, I stopped by the warden's office to have a little chat, and I saw that thing that youse walked in with, so, I don't know, I thought youse would want it." He looked like he was thinking about something.

Did he really do all this? For me?

At this point, I wanted nothing more than to hug him and make him feel wanted. But I couldn't, it was that damn gate, still blocking me from showing my appreciation.

"Yancy... Come with me."

He looked at me with wide eyes.

"Me? Out there? With you?" He laughed to himself before a concerned look spread across his face, perfectly shadowed in the moonlight. Every inch of his face looked like it had been sculpted by the gods themselves. How could this beautiful specimen of a man have killed his parents? It made no sense to me.

"Hey, I- I done a lot of bad things." His knuckles continued to tighten around the poles of the gate. "And, uh, hey. This is home. For now, anyway." He tried to put on a smile, but I could see the pain behind his deep brown eyes.

"Please Yancy... I can't leave you here."

"Maybe next time parole comes up I'll-" he held his hand to the back of his neck and spoke. Barely audible, but I heard it. It was enough to put a smile on my face. "I'll give it a shot." He looked back up at me and began to back away from the gate.

"Anyway, I better get back to it. You take care now, you hear? Hey visitation, every third Sunday!" He continued to back away from the gate.

I looked down at the box in my hand. Only for a second, but when I looked back up...

He was gone...

My one shot at freedom, the person I wanted too badly to save and show them my appreciation for helping me escape, was gone.

I looked down at the box in my hands once more. It's blue gem glowing. I pushed the gem and the box opened. Inside was a key, wrapped in a note.

"This universal skeleton key can unlock any lock ever made."

I looked back up at the prison gate. Could I have saved him?

Should I save him? Or should I leave?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors Note

Hello friends,

So as we've reached the end of Mark's Yancy story, it's time for you to decide what happens next. Should we save Yancy, or leave and visit him every third Sunday? I need to know within the next two weeks! I have 2 chapters ready to go! But I need to know what you guys want! So let me know in the comments! Stay or Go!

Thanks friends,
Iamtrash16
Xxxxxxxxxx