Confrontation

I began to make my way towards Illinois's home. He didn't live too far from my old home, about half a mile. Guess that's why he took my stuff. I continued to walk until I saw the large dark brown house. I slowly approached the larger than life house. I knocked on the door and waited for a response.

As soon as the door opened, I saw Illinois. His scruffy bed head was sticking out all over the place. I grabbed him by his dressing gown that only just covered all the "important" parts. I looked him dead in the eye, his facial expression showed how shocked he was, but he still gave me that smile. That killer smile made me trust his every word.

I felt a lump form in my throat, my knees gave way and I fell to the floor, still clutching his dressing gown. Tears began to fall from my eyes, not just fall, cascade from my now blurry eyes.

"Illinois... I'm... I'm free!"

"Yeah I can see that, but do you really think now is the time to be kneeling in front of me. I mean, I'm just in a dressing gown... People might get the wrong idea." He looked at me, I couldn't quite see his face, but I knew he had winked at me. He loved to tease me like this and make me laugh.

I let out a short but loud laugh. The tears stopped flowing. Illinois pulled out a tissue from his dressing gown. I looked at him and asked "where did you just pull that out from? You've got no pockets?"

He winked at me again before saying "It's better if you don't know." He guided me into his house. Memories came flooding back to me, photos of us on our adventures, our silly selfies and presents we had bought each other were scattered around the house, on shelves and tables. I scanned the living room. He sat me down on the sofa and offered me a cup of hot chocolate, which of course I accepted. I've not had it in so long and I wanted nothing more than to relax and talk to my friend.

I waited for him to come back to the living room, where I was patiently waiting for him on the sofa. I was still holding the tissue and slowly wiping away my tears, not sure if it was from my outburst or from the perverted joke he made earlier to cheer me up.

"One cup of hot cocoa for the lady and I have got myself a nice warm coffee. Need to keep myself awake for all the beautiful ladies out there who need some Illinois lovin." He winked at me once more. His smooth voice was peaceful and helped me to relax a bit more.

"Do you have to wink after everything you say?"

"Only for the pretty ones." He winked again. Smooth son of a bitch.

"Smooth, as always." He winked again! Doesn't this guy ever get tired of winking? Or had it become a habit he couldn't break out of?

I wanted so badly to just tell him what had happened. I wanted him to know what I had been through. But I also wanted to know what had happened to all my stuff.

He managed to let out a small laugh after I called him smooth. His eyes always seemed to disappear when he smiled. It was cute if you can even say that about a grown man?

I told him about the heist, about how I and Mark got caught trying to ride a helicopter when neither of us knew how to fly it. I told him about the prison, the inmates and especially about Yancy. I told him how Yancy helped me to escape, about his musical number than since I heard it had been stuck in my head. DAMN YOU MUSICAL THEATRE!!!

Illinois continued to listen to me rambling on about Yancy, Mark, and all my problems. I have to say, he's a good listener. My heart was racing in my chest, recalling all the times the warden had yelled at me, the time I broke into solitary to go see Yancy, even if he wasn't there.

I talked for what seemed like hours! Every single second that went by, I could see Illinois losing some interest. By the time I let him speak he only had one thing to say.

"Do you like this Yancy guy?"

"Wait what? Where did that come from?" He hadn't winked at me. He was being serious.

"You can't stop talking about this guy, you broke into solitary to go and see him, and he helped you escape. And you wanted to bring him with you! Are you crazy, y/n?" He had slowly started to raise his voice, his body slowly inching closer to mine. His arms opening up, he looked angry.

"You know what Illinois, I'm gonna go to bed. I'm crashing here okay. If you're gonna talk to me like that, then I'm gonna stay here and annoy the crap out of you." His face dropped at the mention of me staying round. He followed me up the stairs to the second floor. I was curious about if his room had remained the same, so I opened up the door only to find a young woman sitting on the edge of the bed putting some jeans on.

She walked over to the door, grabbing her things as she did. She walked past Illinois, giving him a light kiss on the cheek and said "call me." before she exited his home.

I turned it to face him. He looked at me shocked.

"You weren't supposed to see that... I wasn't expecting you to be free so soon."

"Well, I broke out, okay. And like it or not I'm here to stay until I can find a place of my own. And I want my stuff back, wherever you've put it. And for the record, I'm not sleeping in your bed. I don't know what you've been up to and frankly, I don't want to know." I watched as Illinois closed his for and decided to guide me to the guest bedroom. In there, surprisingly, was all my stuff. He cleared some of my things off the bed and changed the bed covers. I walked over to the bed and sat down. Illinois turned around to walk out of the room, his face looked apologetic.

"Sorry if I upset you y/n... I'm still shocked that you're even here." He closed the door and left me alone to my thoughts. I decided to rummage through my things and find some new clothes. Those prison uniforms weren't exactly the sort of look I wanted.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.