~Three~

~Jade~

Rumors were the first thing I heard during the second week of school. Everybody was talking about it and the center of all the rumors was walking with this head held high as if it wasn't him they were talking about.

'Do you think Uthman can given asked me, it was lunchtime and we were sitting in the cafeteria, eating our snacks slowly and savoring the joy of being a finalist. Crazy, right? But I just like being a finalist.

'No I don't think so and No, I don't know. Why are you asking me about Uthman anyways?'

She shrugged just as Uthman walk in with Daniel. I saw Michelle waved at him from where she sat. He waved back and walked straight to where we were sitting. I narrowed my eyes subconsciously. He and Daniel sat down, ordered whatever it is they wanted to eat and started eating. I could feel everybody staring at our table.

'There are lots of empty chairs here, I don't get why you are sitting here.' Hana stated

'This chair was empty too, you know

'Doesn't make any sense why you're sitting here. Friends sit to eat together. It's not like we're friends.'

Uthman merely shrugged at Hana's words and went on eating.

'Don't you think this is childish? You stalking me and keeping a tab on my moves. I told you already. I'm not you so I don't play dirty.'

Uthman finally turned to look at me. I could feel the words brewing up in his throat. I beat him to it.

'If I did not know any better, I'll probably say you have a crush on me.'

He shrugged again.

'Who knows? The boy might be in love with the girl.'

I burst into laughter before I could stop myself.

We did a glaring contest before he stood up and moved closer, his voice low so I could be the only one who heard what he said.

'I just came as the gentleman that I am to tell my dearest rival who doesn't seem to know or to have heard that THE ECOWAS competition has been moved forward to the last week of January.'

I'm sure my face changed into all sorts of things and happiness isn't among them. The competition had been moved forward? I'm sure my reaction was perfect for him as he smiled in his cocky way and walked out of the cafeteria.

Hana was calling my name but I did not hear at first because blood was pounding in my ears. That was unbelievable.

'Jade, what did he say? Why do you look so pale?'

I looked at her and tried to form the words to tell her but I couldn't think straight. ECOWAS competition was in four months. Four freaking months!!! Wow wow. What???
Minutes later, I was sitting in the classroom with a dazed Hana beside me.

'Wow, that's pretty intense. I mean, was it not initially slated for April. That's three months gap. Wow'

I did not say anything to that. I was not even sure what I was feeling. The competition has been moved forward wasn't an issue but there's something...

ECOWAS competition was like the highlight of my secondary school days. It was like the total of my existence here. It was the peak of my rivalry with Uthman. It was what we both wanted. To be the first Nigerian to win that badge. ECOWAS winner though I feel like I needed it more than him. What does someone who wants to become a medical Doctor needs a debate badge for anyway? To treat patients? Smh. He probably wants to win that because I needed it. Well, well, there was no way I'm going to let him win this. No freaking way. Just last year, I was already chosen to represent Lakeview in the competition, I won over Uthman and it was pretty crazy last year. I could have sworn Uthman would murder me. And then while I was still basking in my win, the competition got canceled and the next day, Uthman walked up to me and said;