~Thirty Six~

#unedited

~Uthman~

These memories will stay with me forever. Jade, standing beside me, facing me and laughing at nothing and everything that I was saying.

I was still thinking about her when I got home. I had completely forgotten about the headache I left at home until I walked in to see suitcases and bags at the front door. Moji was sitting on the floor, crying. She stood up and hugged me.

'I don't want to go.'

She cried, holding unto me. I bent to her level and put my arms around her, trying to soothe her. Aunty Wura came out then. She appeared startled to see me. Maybe she was planning on leaving when I wasn't there but now that I've arrived, it must be making things harder.

Maybe she feels guilty about wanting to leave you behind.

'We were waiting for you. I packed some of your clothes. We'd come back for the rest lather.'

I released Moji slowly and stood up, my ears failing to pick up what she just said and my brain refusing to process it.

'What? Where are we going?'

'To my parent's house for now. Let's go. She started dragging one of the bags to her car. Moji grabbed my right leg and moved behind me.

Wait? She's moving out of my father's house and she wants me to follow her, them. Wow.

'I don't think I can follow you.'

She stopped and turned to me.

'What? Uthman, I can't leave you alone here. You need me, you need Moji.' Then she added 'we need you too.'

I heaved a sigh.

'I can't go with you. He is my father, I can't just leave him.'

'Uthman, he never acted like a father to you. How would you survive with him in the house?'

Then don't go. Please, stay, don't go. Please. But I did not say any of this. I only shook my head slowly.

'I can't abandon him like this.'

I can't imagine him coming back to an empty house. I can't do that to him. Mom heaved a sigh and moved closer to me.

'Uthman, I can't leave you here alone.'

I pulled Moji in front behind me.

'You should go now, he might come back anytime soon.'

Moji burst into fresh tears and I picked her up. Mom carried her bags and dropped them in the boot.

'Don't worry Moji, I'll come and see you very soon.'

I said as I placed her on the backseat. She did not let go of my hand.

'I don't want to leave you. Please. Let me stay.'

I smiled even though I was starting to feel the tears in my eyes.

'Moji, we're not separating. Just see it as taking a break. You guys will move in later.'

She let go of my hands and I turned away from her, not wanting her to see my tears. The gateman and the driver were staring at us in bewilderment.

'Adamu, please open the gate.'

Mom said as soon as she entered the car.

'Aah, Aah. Madam, Abeg take am easy. Make Oga come first.'

'Open the Gate, my friend.'

He jumped at the intensity of her voice and he exchanged a glance with the driver before he opened the gate. She zoomed off without a backward glance.