~Ten~

~Uthman~

I got home around 6 pm even though it was a Friday. We had a friendly match with Royal Academy. We won, of course, we can't lose with the star boy playing. Aunty Bola was cooking something in the kitchen. Probably efo roro because of the strong aroma of eru and palm oil. My stomach growled, reminding me that the only thing I  ate today was that meat pie in the cafeteria.

"I'm home."

"Welcome. How was the match?"

"Fine ma."

I lingered by the kitchen door without saying anything. She turned and stopped, surprised to see me still standing there.

"You should go freshen up, dinner will be served before you are done."

"Yeah."I nodded at her and left. I passed by Moji's room. Her door was slightly open and she was reading her Queen Premier on her bed.

"Scholar Moji, howdy?"

She looked up and smiled at me

"I'm fine. How was the match?"

"We won, of course, your brother played so we won."

"Aah, don't blow your own. You're not Neymar."

That made me smile. The only player my sister likes and knows is Neymar. She practically droll over him every day. He was her wallpaper on her tab.

"Oshey Neymar's first love. Dinner is almost ready though, you should go and eat."

"Bad belle' She replied, standing up from her bed 'I'll end up marrying him whether you like it or not. You just watch out."

"Amiin, "I replied and laughed at her retreating back. My sister is a case on her own. A minute's later, we were all seated on the dining chairs, eating dinner of semo and efo riro. A question was on the tip of my tongue to ask. Midway through the dinner, I cleared my throat and Aunty Bola and Moji looked up. I kept quiet.

"What's the problem? Is there a problem with the food?"

          "No" I replied hurriedly. "It's just that...." I trailed again.

"What?" Aunty Bola asked again

"So, tomorrow is my friend's birthday and I don't know what to get her as a gift."

"Her." Aunty Bola asked, her chin raised

"Yeah, Michelle," I added quickly.

"Oh, your girlfriend." Moji interrupted and I turned to glare at her.

"____to be." She added and burst into laughter. Aunty Bola looked at me and laughed too.

"Why do you look so off, Uthman? You guys are at the stage where you have girlfriends and hide them away from us."

"Well, I don't have a girlfriend," I replied curtly

"But you have a girl you like." Aunty Bola added. Oh no, my modern stepmother should not join in this malady. Yes, my Stepmom is 29, not that old. She was 20 when she came into our house. And she's super, super modern.

"I don't like Michelle like that, I'm serious."

They both laughed again.

"Well, we'll wait and see. And about the gift, why don't you her a necklace, perhaps, and chocolates, cards, and a novel?"

"Wow, I should get her a necklace."

"Yeah and that reminds me, I have one I bought last month and I haven't used it should check if you can give her that."