~Twenty Six~

~Jade~

'Don't be so nervous, I'm pretty sure you're going to win'

Today was the d day and I was feeling nervous. My hands shook as I tried to comb my hair. Zee stood up from my bed, collected the brush from me and, started combing my hair.

'But why are so nervous? It's not like this is your first competition.'

'But it's the main one, Zee, what if I don't win? I've never imagined my future without winning this oratory contest and how will I even raise my head in school if I don't win.'

Michelle will never allow me to rest.

'Just calm down baby, you'll be fine.'

I turned from the mirror to look at her.

'I just have this premonition that things won't go the way I want them to.'

'Don't think in the negative baby, you're already a winner.'

'Amiin'

I replied nervously and Zee burst into laughter.

'Jadeshola oo, see what this contest has reduced you.'

I rolled my eyes. I can't even handle any tease today. Let me win first.

Our third period in school was free so I went to the library to revise my points for the oratory contest. I was still reading when someone pulled the chair beside me, dragged it closer to mine, and sat down. It was Uthman. I ignored him.

'Why do you look so serious? It's just a competition. It's not like we've never competed against each other before.'

'oh? For you, it might be just a competition but for me, it's not. I can't afford to win this.'

'And what if you lose? Will you die? Of course not so....'

I interrupted him before he could continue

'I don't know how to handle failure, Uthman. And since this competition doesn't mean that much to you, you can always back off.'

He laughed.

'Oh, come on Jade, if you want me to forfeit this competition for you. Just tell me. Who knows? I might.'

He said and shrugged. I bit my lower lips to keep myself from saying what was on the tips of my tongue.

'Uthman, get out.'

'This is not your private space, any student can sit wherever they like.'

'Then, I'll leave for you.'

I stood up and started packing my books. He grabbed my hands as I made to leave. I shrugged his hands off angrily.

'And what's with grabbing my hands these days? Let this be the last time you will grab my hands.'

'Why? Is it bothering you? It's not like we are holding hands.'

He said with something like a frown. I heaved a sigh and rolled my eyes.

'What is wrong with you these days? Ehn? Is this about what my sister said the other time? Well, that was a crazy joke so....'

I was interrupted by the sound of his laughter. I stared at him incredulously, wondering what I said that was so funny.

'Jade? What am I saying? What are you saying?'

Then he moved closer and I instinctively took a step back. The side of the library that we were in was deserted and I'm not even sure of what I was imagining. Soon enough, I was backed against the desk and Uthman lowered his face so we were staring into each other's faces. Something was beating erratically in my chest and Uthman was staring at me intriguingly. Then I watched his eyes drop to my lips. I swallowed. This is crazy Jade. Why ain't you pushing him off? Then he looked into my eyes again and smiled.