~Thirty Seven~

#unedited.       

                    There is something about holding hands, it's doing so much while saying so little. 

Deepika Padukone

                             ~Uthman~

I've not even said a single word to dad since mom and Moji moved out. He was hardly ever home. Monday morning and he was still not home. I tried cooking rice for breakfast but I only ended up burning it. Mom never allowed maids in the house. The only maid she allowed was the one that sweeps the compound four times a week. I did not eat the burnt rice tho. I was unable to eat it. I was already missing mom and Moji.

I saw Akin talking to Jade once I climbed up the stairs. Akin saw me and he winked.

Crazy dude ni Bobo yi.

I was going to walk away until I heard

''Where is Uthman? I've missed him. It's been four days, five if we count Wednesday.'

I stopped. Did I just hear that? Were my ears playing games on me? Jade just said she missed me, right?

'That's him behind you. He heard you so you don't need to tell him again but then, you might also want to see his expression when you tell him again.'

Akin said pointing to me. I saw Jade froze just as Akin started to walk away. She grabbed his shirt and he said something I did not hear to her before walking away.

I pocketed and smiled, walking towards her. We heard the sound of the bell and she started to walk away. I grabbed her hands and pulled her further into the corridor. She looked up at me and smiled tightly.

'Hey, Good morning'

Her voice was lower than usual and I had to caution the grin on my face from spreading.
I smiled.

'Good morning'

'That was the bell for assembly earlier. We should go before it is late.'

She started to walk away again and I pulled her back, pulling her closer to me in the process. My body heated up at the contact, she was not looking at me and I felt a huge urge to lift her chin to stare at her eyes.

Calm down Uthman. She is already so nervous. Don't ruin this.

'We're already setting the pace for being the worst senior prefects in the history of Lakeview. We might as well get serious with it.'

She focused her attention on my chest and she looked up. She looked down almost immediately and moved back.

'Why are you this nervous?'

'No, I'm not'

She still did not look at me.

Look at me na.

'If you say so. So you said you missed me earlier, right?'

I heard her cough a little before saying.

'Could you please move away from a little?'

I moved even closer to her.

'why?'

'I can't think straight with this small space between us.'

She was still looking at the floor, at her shoes.

You're not the only one affected by our proximity. Heck! I can't even think at all.

I looked down at her, but my lips before moving three steps back. She finally looked up and smiled tightly.