~Twenty Seven~

~Jade~

'Give it up for Uthman Gbadamosi.'

I strained my ears to hear properly. I did not know when my hands that were otherwise clamped together as if in prayer became fisted until my nails started tearing my skin. I stared at the little blood horridly before I stood up amidst the loud cheers from the students. Luckily for me, there was a door behind the podium so I used that and I went outside. I needed fresh air. Immediately I got outside, I felt something trickling down my face. I used the back of my hand to wipe it off angrily.

Damn it, Jade, why are you crying?

I'm crying because I never imagined myself not winning this. This means a lot to my career, to the law degree I want to get, to the legacy I want to leave behind as the first Nigerian to win the contest but now, I had lost the chance to even participate in that competition. I saw someone exit the Physic lab, I entered and close the door behind me.

Take a deep breath, Jade, Take a deep breath.

I took a deep breath only to end up bursting into tears again.

How am I even going to handle this? How am I going to raise my head and walk-in school? How am I going to put with???

Fuck it.

I was in the laboratory till everyone went home, still trying to reorganize my thoughts but in reality, all my dreams just went down the train. How am I supposed to get through this? I took calming breaths and stood up. I just had to get home. Hana and Akin must have gone home. They both knew I prefer to be alone after a huge blow like this. I opened the door and stepped out. I was almost out of the school premises when someone pulled my hand. I pulled away, scared because the school was so deserted. I thought I was the only one in school.

'What the fuck are you are you doing?'

I asked Uthman as I tried to pull myself together.

'What did I tell you about grabbing my hands? Why are you sneaking up on me?'

'Are you okay?'

I crossed my arms over my chest.

'Are you okay? Because you don't look okay to me.'

I replied to him and started to walk off. He followed me. I heaved a sigh. I really can't deal with him today. I turned back to him angrily.

'Can you just leave me alone? I get that you won and all but can you please leave me alone?'

'Oh, come on Jade. I was worried about you.'

I mentally rolled my eyes.

'Well, good for you. Now leave me alone please.'

I started feeling the tears in my eyes again so I turned away and started to walk away again but he grabbed my hand.

'Please just leave me alone.'

I said quietly, shrugged his hands off, turned away, and cleaned the tears they were now falling quietly. I started walking away and he did not follow me again.

********

When I got home, mom and Zee were waiting for me in the sitting room.

'Jade, how can you get us all worried like this?'

That was the first thing mom said to me as I entered.

'Mom, just let her be. We all know how much winning this competition meant to her.'