~Forty Seven~

Dedicated to bisoyelove he actually made the artwork in the media for Uthman. The gesture means a lot.           

                             ~Uthman~

I never knew I could have jamb tension. I thought I was better than that but walking into the hall where I did my jamb proved me otherwise. Two days later, If I thought what I felt walking into that hall was tension, then checking my result must be a panic attack.

I thought this has to the with the jamb syndrome fear that has been passed down from generation to generation. Eventually, I checked it.

Dear Uthman Gbadamosi, your result for 2020 UTME is 345

Physics: 78
Chemistry: 77
Biology: 79
English: 111

I was the only one at home when I checked it and I shouted and fist bumped the air.

Nah, I danced around like a lunatic in my room.

I couldn't keep calm and I chatted Akin up. He just did his own today so his result was not yet out.

I was about to call Jade when I got an incoming call. It was from dad. I instinctively paused, wondering why he was calling me.

Maybe he saw a text message from UTME of my result. Afterall, it was his number that he registered me with.

'Hello Sir'

I said into the receiver as soon as I picked it up.

'Hello Son.'

His voice was full of excitement and I paused again. What's wrong with this man?

'I just saw your result. I knew you could do it. I knew you would always make us proud. I'm so proud of you right now.'

Wow. My lips stretched into a small smile before I could help it. My dad's appraisal. Something I've never gotten since mom died was like chocolate in my mouth.

'I did not forget the gift I promised you. I'm definitely going to surprise you.'

I nodded, forgetting he wasn't here with me.

'Okay Sir. Thank you Sir'

'Yes.'

I replied and I could hear the laughter in his voice.

'You should call your mom and let her know of the good news. I'm sure she'd be glad.'

And we hung up. I stared at my phone before searching for mom's number. My finger lingered on it but I did not call her.

I later dialed Jade's number but it went to voice mail. I left a message for her on WhatsApp but she wasn't online.

I got on my bed and laid down but I was too giddy to keep calm. I ended up walking down stairs. When I got to the sitting room, our enormous sitting room, I was momentarily shocked by how huge it was and how empty too.

Too empty.

If this was a normal family, the family would have gathered around to to celebrate my success.

I realized I really missed Moji and mom.

                                ******
'So you mean you scored 345 in Jamb?'

Akin asked again.

For like the hundredth time.

I nodded and smiled.