~Thirty One~

Dedicated to adesewa_x 💖 read her story, Echoes to understand this chapter better.

                                  ~Jade~

Friday morning and we were about to start our journey to Lagos State. We were 25 in total. 11 players, two teachers, 11 students, and the driver. I leaned by the bus, still not feeling up to traveling. Uthman and Michelle entered the bus and I watched them sit beside each other. Uthman still hasn't spoken a word to me since Wednesday afternoon he was acting like I did not exist. Good!

I saw Akin walking towards the bus. He was talking to Malik, the SNJ(Small Neymar Jr), a  boy in SS2 who can play ball like something else.

'Do you realize I've been waiting for you?'

I said as soon as he reached where I was standing.

'Pele, mabinu. Oya let's go now.'

I entered and he followed me. As I passed where Uthman and Michelle sat, he laughed at something Michelle said and I hissed under my breath. I sat down near the window and Akin sat beside me. Hana and Dan were not going so that makes Akin the only person I'm close with on the bus. Our teachers soon enter and the driver started the engine. Someone committed the journey unto God's hands.

'You should probably apologize to Uthman.'

I glanced up from the novel I was reading.

'Why?'

'You hurt his feelings pretty bad, do you realize that?'

I shrugged.

'Uthman and I had said meaner things to each other in the past.'

'But this is not the past, is it? I'm pretty sure a long of things have changed between the both of us.'

He was looking at me intently as he said that and I had to look away, not trusting my eyes not to betray my expressions.

He was right. A lot of things have changed. Since the journey has started, I had not stopped thinking about him, wondering about what Michelle has said that had made him laugh like that. He never laughed like that with me.

'This journey is pretty boring. Mister Adewale, permit us to play music?'

Someone called out from the back, it was Adams, a boy in SS2 and a member of the football team.

'Permission granted'

Mister Adewale, the football coach, and the sport instructed replied.

Soon enough, loud music filled the bus.

🎵Party scatter
     Party Scatter
     As they start am
     People yepa
     They start to dance
     But as I enter
     Omo, the party scatters 🎵

I have a thing for music and I started low-key singing along plus Fireboy has to be my favorite new generation musician. I started dancing along. Akin glanced at me.

'Maybe you should just reconsider law and become a dancer or singer or both.

I smiled. Other students were starting to sing along too. The song changed to geng by Mayorkun and people erupted into loud eeh and an

🎵Set won
One Hennessy, 20 men geng
Set won
Akubra Balenciaga geng
Set won
Of Lagos

You know me, who? (Geng)
You chilling with the highest (Geng)
Right now you're chilling with the highest (Geng)