Chapter 6

"You know? People usually have a drink with me before attacking me with wildlife." Loki smirked lazily. He was beginning to grow used to the luxury of having a fixed sleeping place, after two more storms-less nights.

"Those lowly beasts you call birds are hardly wildlife, Stark. " He looked down at the human who waited by his tree's roots. "And as much as I'm puzzled by your obsession for having me drinking stuff, I'm afraid the drink in question would have to be on you."

Tony grinned back. "What, Odin's hold on your allowance is too strong for you to treat me?"

Loki slid of the branch, landing gracefully in front of the human, his mouth still curled into a loose smirk. "You go on trying to mock me; this is by far the best punishment I've ever had."

"Or so I've read." Tony was actually grateful. The three hours he had spent looking for the exact tree in which he and Pepper had spotted Loki in some amateur video would have been useless if the god wasn't in good mood. "So? Are you going to take me up on that drink or not?"

"What is it, Stark? Do you usually treat breakfast to your enemies?" The human smiled.

"Actually, my team would be delighted if I treated breakfast to our enemies only."

Thing was, now Tony sat across the table from the pale god, prying quick glances at him from behind his menu.

"Do you even know what half of these things are?" Loki frowned.

"No, but I take it nearly everything's edible, since Thor has survived here, even with his... Eating habits."He didn't miss the way the frown deepened when mentioning his brother's name, and he smirked to himself.

"Oh, yeah, well, no offense, but I doubt there's anything in all of the... What do you guys call it? "Realms" that your brother wouldn't be able to chow down. But it's pretty much an accurate guess, I hope everything's edible here."

"Thor is not my brother" Tony rolled his eyes. "What are these pancake things?"

"Hmmm... Do you have a sweet tooth?" Dear god, the puzzled look on Loki's face was worth all the pancakes.

"Excuse me?"

"Sugar. Do you like it?" Still noticeably wary, Loki nodded. "Then order those. Man, how come you have survived for nearly three months on your own?" Loki drank a sip of his steaming coffee, shrugging.

"Despite what Thor has made you believe, not all as..." Tony frowned, when Loki's voice slowly died in his throat, without finishing the sentence.

"Not all asgardians eat like starved wolves?" He provided, trying to be helpful. Loki cleared his throat.

"Exactly, they don't." They stumbled into a pause, that quickly threatened to grow into an awkward silence. Tony frowned. He hated all silences, but the awkward ones were his nemesis and hell if he was going to let his nemesis take over his international diplomacy attempts.

"But I mean, how did you even discover coffee?" He asked, to break it.

"Selvig and Barton used to have it."

"Oh. Ok." Nothing like remembering your mind-controlled colleagues to ease the mood.

The silence remained even after the waitress wrote their orders down, and walked away, again, not sparing a glanec for the full-armored Norse.

Tony didn't even look up as his omelette (because who doesn't like an omelette that has not been made by Tony?) was placed on the table before him.

"Maple syrup, sir?" The waitress asked.

Loki stared at the woman, holding the oddly shaped bottle and waiting for his response. His eyes jumped between the so-called pancakes on his plate, to the bottle, to the waitress, before he cleared his throat again.