Chapter 20

When Tony arrived, Bruce was leaning against the edge of a work table, his eyes closed and his breathing deep and slow, with one of Steve's hands placed firmly on his shoulder. Natasha, along with Clint, waited on the opposite side of the workshop and Thor stood between the, hammer clutched in a hand and eyeing Bruce carefully.

Bruce apparently heard Tony's footsteps, because his eyelids parted, and he looked straight at him, with a stare that was both too questioning ant doo reproaching for his taste. He looked back, however, a silent plea in his own eyes. The scientist huffed, and let his eyes fall closed again.

"Is it true? He's here?"

"Yeah."

"Powerless."

"Yep."

"Not dangerous."

"Open for discussion, but I think I can say yes."

Tony suppressed the urge to cross his arms over his chest. It would do no good to take a defensive stance with Bruce already so stressed. Luckily, Steve saved him from Bruce's scrutiny by clearing his throat.

"Well, now we're all on the same page, I think it's time to vote." He sent an apologetic glance towards the assassins in he corner "I understand we're asking way too much for you, but you have to be objective here. I know Loki has... Personally aggravated many of us, before, but we're the heroes." He declared. "Even if we don't forgive, our duty is to protect and do the right thing. Be the better men."

"I can't stress the 'he's not an innocent civilian' point more than I already have, so..."

"Many of us have acted wrong or selfishly before." And how ironic it was, to have Steve say that. The only one out of all of them that could be excused from it. "I think Loki has evolved satisfyingly since his arrival to Earth. I vote we let him stay, and keep the knowledge of his presence limited to those present here." Let no one say that Steve didn't know how to close his terms so that even Natasha couldn't squeeze herself out of them. The blond looked at Thor, prompting him to speak.

"I have expressed my opinion many times already. My brother has had many occasions to give us trouble or harm us, and I believe his intentions are not as such, seeing that we're still here whole and in peace. I vote that he is allowed to stay and I beg you to guard our secret, for he is in no state to endure what I'm assured will happen to him if he falls into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s custody."

They both looked at Tony then. Tony, who was totally not in the mood to give a heart speech about Loki's miraculous rehab. He still didn't believe it fully, and he wasn't about to go boasting about it.

"Let the guy stay. We're watching him."

Natasha huffed. "I vote we tell Coulson, and have S.H.I.E.L.D. decide whether he stays or not." She said, not looking at Thor, and Tony knew there was an 'I'm sorry' in that sudden reluctance. Next to her, Clint untangled his arms.

"Is he..." He started, looking straight at Tony, who blinked in confusion.

"Sorry?"

Clint shook his head. "Nothing. I want to speak to him later." And he looked away. "I vote we send him to S.H.I.E.L.D."

Even with his eyes closed, Bruce stiffened when all stares fell on him. He turned to Tony again, and Tony held his stare for as long as he could, glad tat he didn't find any green in his eyes.

"I vote he stays. As long as we can watch him there's not much he can do without his power."

Tony let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, and judging from Thor's relieved face, the same had happened to him.