Chapter 15

Stark's words still echoed in his Mind from time to time, and it had been nearly a week since he'd seen anyone. He spent his days holed up in the apartment, waiting for his former allies to show up.

His books didn't offer him entertainment anymore, and the same could be said for every other good in the flat. He ignored the temptation of going out by reminding himself of the risk it implied.

So he sat on the corner of his bedroom, and thought.

As much as he despised the directions his mind took, there was no way to stop it. His routine consisted of a few intertwined acts; getting food, going back to his corner until he found himself hungry again, and showering under two minutes, before daring to sleep, hoping he'd still be in Midgard in the morning.

He didn't sleep much. If he hated the paths his mind strode over in consciousness, his sleep was plagued with nightmares that made his reluctant contemplation time much more desirable.

His corner was where Stark found him later. He had heard the footsteps, and prepared for the worst, gripping his sphere tightly and determined to take some Chitauri with him, when the mortal's beardy, concerned face poked through the door, searching the room

The knot in his stomach loosened, and he fixed his gaze on him, until he felt observed, and his eyes squinted when he peered into the darkness.

"Is that you in there, Loks?

"What are you doing here?" And it was a sincere question.

"Ehm... Checking on you? Thor took a break to visit Jane."

"And he passed the baton, I see."

"Not really..." He turned the lights on, and noticed the way Loki flinched at the sudden brightness. "But well, I hadn't heard of you in days, and I forgot to give you this."

Loki looked up to see him holding a small package. After Stark beckoned him to, he stood up from his spot and walked over. The mortal took a seat on his bed, forcing him to do the same. The god's eyes fixed themselves on the small box, as Stark opened it to reveal... A leather wristband.

"Stark... Why are you giving me accessories?" He asked, arching a brow.

"How come you were the 'smart' prince up there?" Tony bumped him softly on the back of the head, earning a half assed glare. Then, he took the wristband between two fingers, and turned it. There was a compass-looking gadget encrusted in the leather. He let go of the strap when pale fingers went to graze it. "The detector is underneath. The compass is wired to it, it'll tell you where the magic is coming from."

"Clever" Was the only thing Loki uttered, as he examined the band curiously.

"I prefer 'genius' " Tony shrugged. "You'll have a bit more freedom this way."

"Is your captain comfortable with you giving me 'a bit more freedom', Stark? Or are you doing it at his back?"

Tony shook his head lightly. "None of them. Steve's a dreamer. He wants us to introduce you to Earth living, I don't have a clue of what he's expecting, but I did promise I would watch out for you when you were having tour freedom time." He smirked. "But I'm a busy person."

"Yes, I'm sure..." He held the leather band in his hand, twisting and pulling it lightly, as if to test the material. Tony watched him out of the corner of an eye, feeling a knowing smile tug at his lips. This was completely priceless...

"Why are you doing this?" The god's lips barely moved to voice his question. He kept looking forward, expecting an answer.

"Again, Loks? I don't like repeating myself, I like challenges, that's it." Tony nearly flinched when Loki turned his head to him so fast he was sure something must have snapped.