Chapter Thirteen - The sacrifice

-// Sarafina's pov //- 

"Come on Sara!" 

I grinned watching as my younger brother Mark bolted from the car, dashing towards the swings. I decided on giving him a head start but once he was a certain distance away I jogged after him. Looking over his shoulder he girlishly screamed attempting to run faster, but unfortunately for him he tripped over his on feet flying head first into the ground. He rolled for a bit making me freeze watching him in shock; he lay still not moving for a few seconds before jumping up grinning "That was awesome!" He cried out, letting out a small dance.

My eyes widened as I watched him, but the laughter building within me soon exploded. Gripping hold of my stomach I fell to my knees. Mark looked over to me with a small glare; I was too busy laughing my butt off to see him run back towards me. I had no time to react when he tackled me to the ground, a yelp passing my lips as my back connected with the grass. I looked up into the angry face of Mark, his brown eyes sparking in agitation "You know it’s not nice to laugh at people!" He whined angrily.

I giggled but quickly covered it up with a cough, sitting up I pushed him off me. "And it’s not nice to tackle your elders!" I retorted smirking. He looked back at me with his own smirk "Well yeah... You are old I wouldn't want to break you!" He giggled before once again running back to the swings. My mouth fell slowly agape as I watched "Ouch...” I mumbled under my breath. 

Pushing myself off the ground I walked over to him, sitting beside him on another swing pushing my heels into the ground swinging backwards and forwards. I enjoyed the feel off the wind blowing gently on my skin. 

"I'm sorry we haven't spent that much time together.. Life's been a bit busy lately" 

He turned his head over to me, a smile playing on his lips. He shrugged his shoulders before concentrating back on swinging. Once he found the perfect momentum he looked back at me "It’s fine sissy, I understand" I smiled watching him, I couldn't get over how much he looked like Dad. he was the spitting image of him when he was younger. "Hey Mark... Do you miss Dad when he works all the time?"

"Yeah... I wish he was at home more often.." He mumbled softly.

Biting my lower lip I looked to the ground, staring at him through my eye lashes. "I know kiddo... I wish he stayed at home more often too..." He shook his head as if ridding him of the depressing atmosphere that had surrounded us. He looked at me grinning "Oh well!" I grinned lightly rolling my eyes. I was about to ask him another question when my phone started to go off, throwing him a grin I hopped off the swing walking a few steps away. 

"Elena? Hey, what’s up?" 

"I--I... Damon he d-did something stupid..." 

"What did he do? Are you okay?" 

"He fed me his blood"

A small gasp passed my lips. How he could he do that? What gave him the right to decide whether she became a vampire or not. I bit my lip breathing out slowly "Where are you?" I asked. 

"I'm on a walk with Stefan; he thinks I need to come to terms with it..."

"It’s going to be okay Elena; I promise it will be okay..." Of course I didn't know it would be okay, but I was being the good friend trying to ease her mind. I heard her sigh on the other end of the phone.

"I just wanted to tell you... That I love you okay?" 

My body tensed as tears hit my eyes "Why does that sound like a goodbye?" 

"Because it is... Klaus is doing the sacrifice tonight and..."  She breathed out slowly; I could hear her voice waver slightly.  "I'm going to go, okay? I love you..."