Don't Cry

I watched her from across the table. I watched the tears form in her eyes. I watched the expression on my mom's face turn to worry. I couldn't do anything. I'd felt so helpless. All I'd wanted to do was hug her and tell her everything would be okay. She recited story after story of her home life. Broken glass; shed tears. The days she was beaten, the days sat in fear that her dad wouldn't come home and the days she thought they wouldn't even be able to pay rent. She finished and broke into a fit of sobs. I placed my hand on her shoulder and she leant into my touch.

"Well... I'm not sure how much I can do. But I am not letting you sleep there tonight," my Mom said, picking her phone off the table, "I am going to have to ring social services, but I promise you, I won't let them take you away. If you need it, you can always stay here." Thalia nodded, wiping the tears from her cheek. I moved my hand back and forth on her shoulder as a gesture of comfort.

"Hey... Don't cry..." I whispered as my mom leaves the room to dial the number. Abruptly, she got up and buried herself in me. Her arms were wrapped tight around my waist and her face was hidden in my chest. She was crying again. Her whole body loosened in my embrace and everything felt- right. She felt right. I held her tighter and let her pour every bit of emotion onto the fabric of my hoodie. I stroked her hair slowly, it was so soft, she was so soft- so fragile. And as we parted reluctantly, our gazes aligned. I leant forward. It was like something was controlling me. Something I'd never felt before; like a magnetic pull yet it feels so natural. 

We were so close.

Then Mom walked in.

"So, the social worker said..." she stopped, knowing she'd interrupted something yet again. We parted quickly and looked up at her expectantly as if nothing had ever happened, "Well, he said you can stay here, for now, wear some of  Mel's clothes. And as for your home situation, they're going to have someone check it out over the next few days and they'll decide whether your parents are fit to care for you."

"What do I tell Mom?" Thaila stated beside me.

"Call her, tell her you are going to stay around a friend's house for a while and tell her not to worry. If there's any confusion, give me her number and I will speak to her. You can go upstairs if you would like some privacy..." Mom gave her a warm smile and she nodded, turning to head upstairs. She looked at me one last time. She smiled. My heart was swarmed with happiness at the small creases in her cheeks and I smiled back, watching her hair sway softly as she walked up the stairs.

"So... you like her?" I swivelled around to where my mom was stood smiling at me devilishly. 

"I... I... " I stuttered, gobsmacked mostly because she noticed far quicker than I did. She just grinned at me,

"It would be okay you know. I like her and... you guys look happy together. Also, I heard that you and Kye broke up," She said, knowing me far too well to even wonder if she is wrong. I looked at her in disbelief, wondering how I was blessed with the most incredible person for a mom.

"I guess... maybe she is part of the reason..." I said, still in shock.

"Good Luck. Listen, I've got to go pick your sister up, tell Thalia, if there's anything she needs, I'll be back soon to help her. I love you." She kissed me on the forehead and grabbed her coat from the rack.

"I love you too." I grinned so much that the edges of my mouth reached my ears. 

***

"Mom understands. She's glad I'm safe and happy." Thalia said to me as I walked in. She was sat on my bed, staring at the switched off the phone in her hands. She pressed her forehead to the top of it. "Thank you," she said softly. I tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"No, thank you."

"For what?" She scoffed,

"For being brave enough to tell my mom. For coming over when I needed company. And, for coming into my life and showing me what I'm missing." She looked up at me smiling and reached out to entwine our fingers again. The same rush filled my blood- the same rush I got every time we touched.

"So, what it is that you are missing?" She whispered. A gush of wind wandered past the window as the sky faded.

"You."

A/N

Hope you enjoyed! I am definitely starting to really enjoy writing this book and, yes I'm going to make you wait for the kiss... it will be sometime in the next three-ish chapters- thank me later.

Finally, I tried to make this situation as real as possible since a lot of stuff I see on here is very unrealistic but fortunately, I have never been in this sort of situation and have never known anyone who's lived it. I don't exactly know how accurate it is so... yeah I guess.

Thank you so so so so much for reading it means the absolute world!!! And have the most amazing day!