You're Cute

I couldn't sleep. I could hear her breathing beside me; I could almost feel her touch on my skin. I was facing the wall, listening to every rise and fall of her stomach. Scrunching my eyes shut, I breathed deeply, trying to drown out the thoughts of her. After barely three minutes, I gave up, turning around to see where she was lying- facing me. She was so peaceful. She was so beautiful. I breathed out slowly.

I watched as her chest heaved up and down, watched the slight flutter of her eyelids at every breath. I shouldn't be feeling this-right? My heart shouldn't ache every time she smiles or when I look into her eyes. My bones shouldn't shake every time we touched. And yet I was feeling this. This feeling was unknown to me. At my old school, my life had been more about surviving the bullies than anything else. I'd never stopped- always running. Maybe I was finally figuring out what I had been running from.

I didn't believe in fate- never have. I hated to think that my choices were chosen before I even had the chance to deliberate them. And yet, meeting her felt like fate. This feeling felt like fate. As if the universe had planned we meet. Planned every moment we spent together. Planned each breath she took to echo in my ears. Planned me lying awake in the dark with her by my side. And I didn't hate it.

How the hell was I supposed to get to sleep?

The heat from her body was radiating towards me, enclosing me in this bubble of warmth. I wanted to sleep- I needed to sleep. Then I noticed her hand centimetres from mine. It was so close- I could almost feel it. Like a shadow of her touch. Then, very slowly, like an unconscious reaction, it crept closer and reached out a pinkie to entwine our hands. My heart dropped to the bottom of my ribcage, rocking and rolling around inside me.

Our hands twisted until they were locked in a tight embrace and my brain shut down, my blood beginning to cool. One-touch. Just one-touch. One-touch and my heart began to pound. One-touch and the world started to spin. One-touch and I was falling. Falling so far off the edge of the earth, into her arms. I closed my eyes once again, focusing on her and only her. And slowly but surely, I started to drift into the deepest and most beautiful sleep I'd had in too long.

***

She was not there when I woke up. I jolted up in the bed feeling the cold absence of her hand in mine. Rubbing my eyes, I got up, wearily opened the door and trudged reluctantly downstairs. Thalia was sat on the table. God, even with bed hair, she looked adorable. She smiled as I walked down. I must've looked like a mess. Trashy hair, barely open eyelids and a crazy looking loop-sided smile. She laughed as I smiled back.

"What are you laughing at?" I grumbled slowly.

"You. I didn't quite believe it when your Mom said you're not a morning person but... here we are." She chuckled. I glared at her playfully and glanced down at the eggs on the table.

"I would leave after being insulted so badly... but those look like some good eggs," I said sarcastically, skipping not very skillfully down the last few stairs. Thalia handed me a plate.

"Hurry sleepy head or we'll be late for school," she said grinning at me. I narrowed my eyes across the table,

"I am going to take as long as I would like to eat these scrumptious looking eggs and no one- not even you- is going to stop me," I said straightening my back and picking up my fork. She laughed,

"Well if you must..." She shrugged and I dug in. I could feel her eyes on me, watching as I tasted the first bite.

"Mom, these are incredible!" I shouted to the living room where she seemed to have subsided.

"Good, I didn't make them!" She yelled back and I turn my gaze to Thalia.

"You made these?!" I stuttered, shocked.

"Always the tone of surprise," She said with the most undeniable grin on her face.

"But... You're our guest!"

"I tried!" yelled my Mum from the living room and we both burst out into laughter.

"Well, they're amazing!" I told Thalia and then devoured them within the next two minutes. Then I hopped back up the stairs to put on some better clothes and sort out the mop on my head.

***

I stared into the mirror. I was wearing ripped jeans, some white converse, a black T-shirt and a green, red and blue, unbuttoned flannel shirt thrown over the top. I pulled my hair up into a bun on top of my head. Why did I care so much about how I look all of a sudden? I asked myself, knowing fully why. I sighed, grabbed my bag and headed downstairs. Thalia watched me as I walked down.

"What!?" I cried, wondering if I'd got toothpaste on my shirt or something.

"Nothing," She said but I could see something in her eyes so I persisted,

"What!?"

"Just... you look cute," she muttered slowly. I smiled.

"Thank you." I tucked a strand of my hair nervously behind my ear, "Shall we... um... go to school...?" I stammered, motioning towards the door. Or I may have just been flailing my hands around again. She smiled slightly.

"Yeah, we probably should..."

"Yeah," I responded but neither of us had moved, we were just stood in the doorway- staring at each other. That was until a small voice interrupted our thoughts.

"Are you going?" My sister Ali cried, running up towards me and embracing my legs in a hug. I knelt down to her height, moving her head slightly so it was on top of my shoulder.

"Yeah," I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, "Have a good day Als."

"You too!" She exclaimed, turning to Thalia then back to me. She leaned in towards me, whispering in my ear, "I like her..." I grinned like an idiot at this statement before Mom called Ali into the kitchen. Once I stood up, I locked eyes with Thalia who also had a wide grin on her face.

"We should..." Thalia said, jerking her head slightly towards the door. I laughed.

"Yeah," I replied, nodding before deciding to loop my arm around hers, "Shall we?" I watched her mouth stretch into a grin before she agreed and we began our walk to school.

A/N

What do you guys think of this chapter? It's more of a filler chapter so let me know. Also, do you like the whole slow-burn relationship or do you think I should speed it up a bit????

Anyway, thanks to everyone so much for reading and please, if you are able and if you enjoyed, vote for this! I have a feeling this may be one of the first books on here that I'll actually finish so definitely check back. I know I haven't updated that much this week- I'm sorry a lot is going on in life that I just don't want to deal with and have had no time or inspiration to write another chapter... Sorry again, Hope you all have a brilliant day!!!

Edited