The Power Of Fear

"Yes, okay thank you." My Mom placed the phone onto the table,

"Thalia, sweetie... They've decided they want to place you in foster care for the time being..." I looked over at my girlfriend's face, knowing that this is the exact thing she didn't want to happen. I reached out for her hand under the table,

"It'll be somewhere near, right mom?" I asked hopefully. However, my mom just sighed softly and tried to give me a small smile,

"Hopefully..." She trailed off before waving us off the table, "Go on now, sleep." I smiled at Thalia and I could see her trying, however unsuccessfully, to smile back at me. We turned towards the staircase, her hand still in mine- I could feel it shaking in my grasp.

"Melody?" My mother called out and I turned to address her,

"Yeah?"

"Can we talk?" Uh oh.

***

My mom pressed her hands on top of mine on the kitchen side.

"Sweetie... Are you ready for this?" I narrowed my eyebrows at this, unsure of what she meant.

"Ready for what?"

"People are mean. You know that- especially when you are at school. I know you like her a lot- I see it in your eyes every time you look over at her. I couldn't tell you what this sort of thing feels like... I wouldn't know. I just know it isn't easy and I don't want you to get hurt..." I finally understood then what she meant. She meant the whole, coming out in high school thing. I hadn't really put thought towards what I'd wanted to identify as let alone about coming out. I was so damn scared.

I remember that feeling as clear as day. I knew Thalia wouldn't want to hide our relationship and I knew that it would all happen eventually anyway- I was just scared. I'd acted as if it were no big deal and that I could get through it easily but it was only until the next day of school where the fear really hit me. As I walked through those halls alone, after Thalia had been taken to meet her foster parents that morning, the only things going through my head were: What will these people think? Did they know after the party? What would my friends say? I can't lose them. Will my teachers treat me differently? Will my own friends treat me differently?

It was almost as if every boy and girl in that hallway were staring right into my soul. It all just became too real.

"Morning, Dr. Fun!" Brie cried beside me and I looked up at her in shock.

"Damn, Brianna- warn a girl!" Brianna was Brie's full name, I'd only used it once or twice before when I was really annoyed at her.

"Woah... okay hangover got to your head? You alright?" She said, her large beaming smile shining bright in my eyes. I blinked and the light pooled into a second of darkness before I looked up at her once again,

"I'm fine, just cranky I guess," I murmured at her and she scoffed in response.

"No kidding..." The sound of her voice faded as she turned to watch May walk down the hallway. The girls embraced each other in a quick hug and I saw Brie whisper something in the other girl's ear as they parted. Then I watched as the blonde ponytail skipped away into the crowd of teenagers and as the other raven-haired girl walked towards me,

"She's going to cosy up to her "boyfriend" and you and I are going to have a talk..." I guessed, from the way she said the word 'boyfriend', that Brie and Taylor weren't officially exclusive but close to being. I moaned and tried to pull away from her but May just interlocked our arms and pulled me down the hallway toward our first class.

"So... What's up with you and Thalia then?" I stopped in my tracks and looked over at her in shock,

"What- do- I- what- nothing... what are you talking about?" I stuttered, flustered. She just smiled at my ignorance.

"Aw come on... I mean, we didn't expect it in the slightest but you two were literally dancing on top of each of at Zeke's party and don't think I didn't notice the two of you sneak off to-" Her voice muffled as I pressed my hand against her lips. She pulled away, watching in amusement as I looked around cautiously to see if anyone heard.

"So... you are a thing then?" She whispered a little too loudly for my liking. I decided against my instinct and nodded slowly before turning and walking away. I heard a soft squeal behind me as I walked and, as quick as it left, the arm returns nestled between mine.

"Melody has a girlfriend!" She whisper-chanted beside me and I kept moaning at her to shut up.

"May, seriously!" Then the bell rings, and we, coincidently reach the door to our History Class. Suddenly, Brie popped her head in the middle of my vision, her ponytail swinging left to right. Her head nestled into his chest beside her, stood Taylor.

"Hey..." I murmured, too emotionally unstable from my previous conversation to have another. May whispered something, which I'm pretty sure I knew every word of, into Brie's ear and she grinned at me. I sighed and pushed past them in annoyance. I reached the door, but my eyes suddenly caught another pair. Dark Brown. Eyes I would never forget. I felt Taylor's hand on my back as he pushed past me, through the door to sit down next to Kye Underwood.

What would he say? I thought; Would he think I used him? Would he think I never loved him? Had I loved him as more than just a friend? It was all just so damn confusing. Confusing and scary and without her by my side I didn't know how I could handle it. She made everything seem so safe and easy. But, I think deep down I knew- this was one thing I'd have to do on my own...

A/N

Hi, thanks for putting up with my slow updating- I've been working on my new book! Also Thank you sooo much for 440 reads! That's actually amazing- for my first book on here anyway! 

This chapter is basically just based on all of my own feelings towards being in this sort of situation- especially with friends. I hope you are all okay and that you enjoyed, have an amazing day!

In case any of you are interested- here's the blurb to my new book called She's The Enemy(Also GxG):

All Emelie has ever been told is never to cross the border that separates the Fae and human lands, especially after her mother was murdered during a Faerie attack. However, when she finds an enchanting Fae Princess injured by the lake, this girl becomes the allure that keeps pulling her back to a place she knows that she is forbidden to go. How can this girl be the enemy they've been scared of all this time?
.
"You told me she didn't want to be scared anymore, but that can't be the only reason... can it?"
.
"Maybe... she met a girl and she couldn't run away. Because the allure of her eyes and her touch was too strong to fight. And maybe part of her didn't want to fight it. Maybe she wanted her life to be more than just a slideshow of events..."
.
"So that's why she keeps coming back..."