I Can't Believe it

4 Months Later- Mel's POV

Have you ever experienced a moment where everything seems so perfect that you could live there for the rest of your life? Like, at any time, just close your eyes and do right back to that one moment. And suddenly you feel safe again, wrapped in the soft embrace of those few perfect seconds. That wasn't just a moment for me, it was a person- one person who could instantly make me feel as if I were floating on clouds. It was never as I had pictured my life and yet it was the only thing I'd ever wanted...

***

"This one!" May pulled a dress off one of the rails and held it against herself, "Too much?" It was strapless, gold, and sequined from the waist up. The bottom was flared, dozens of sheets of netting behind the silk. Brie narrowed her eyebrows,

"What's Blake wearing?" She said, looking May up and down. The other girl shrugged causing Brie to let out a sigh and turn to me,

"At least you know what Thalia is wearing, right?" I opened my mouth to speak but I think my face clearly portrayed what I was thinking as Brie let out a secondary sigh. 

"Here." She chucked the dress she was holding at me, and rushed off to shove May into the changing rooms. I chuckled to myself a little, hanging the small, black dress Brie had given me back onto one of the rails.

 "Melody?" I turned as an oddly familiar voice rang throughout the shop. It was a girl I could remember from my old school, I couldn't quite remember her name though. As she approached me, I saw another girl, brunette, holding on to her arm.

"Hey, you might not remember me, my name's Riley..." The name immediately clicked and I reached out to shake her extended arm.

"I... do actually, It's nice to see you," The girl smiled as I said this, "How are you?" I said, trying to be as polite as I could. 

"Good... here shopping for prom! The shops near our school aren't that good..." The girl glances around the shop nervously before speaking again, "Oh... and this is my girlfriend Alexa... you might know her..." I looked at the other girl again who was now smiling sheepishly at me, I think I slightly recognised her but I couldn't be too sure.

"Um... nice to meet you..." I said smiling softly, the nerves slowly subsiding as I became more and more comfortable around these people.

"How are you?"  Alexa asked and I smiled.

"I'm great. I'm happy, really happy... I'm actually here to pick out a dress as well..." I grinned, making both the other girls faces brighten slightly.

"That's great, I know you never had the best time at school..."

"You did...?" I began but was once again was interrupted by the voice of my friend. 

"MELODY PARKER! STOP TALKING AND PICK A DRESS!" All three of us giggled as the other blonde girl, stepped out of the changing room, angrily, "We don't have all day..." She muttered and I ran over, slinging my arm around her.

"Breathe... It'll be fine, plus I haven't actually been asked to prom yet..." Brie rolled her eyes, only slightly allowing herself to relax in my embrace.

"But you will."

"And how do you know?" The girl went silent and I opened my mouth in shock.

"What do you know?" I  said, trying to milk her of every piece of information she knew; Thalia had been secretive about this for weeks. Brie just shrugged and I frowned at her. I heard chuckles ahead of us and looked to where Riley and Alexa are stood.

"Well... good luck and I'm sure whatever happens, you'll have one very lucky guy with you!" Riley said enthusiastically causing Brie to grunt beside me.

"As if any man would ever be good enough for this one," She said, winking at them. They both burst out in laughter and I shoved Brie playfully in the shoulder.

"I hate you."

"You love me." The girls laugh at our exchange, exchanging glances, almost as if they were talking telepathically.

"Still... have fun. We've gotta go, we just bought our stuff, before we recognised you and decided to come over here. Enjoy prom..." Alexa said, grabbing her girlfriend's hand. I smiled as I watched Riley's face brighten before they began to walk away. Right before they left the shop I heard their faint whispers,

"I was right! You owe me ten dollars."

"Ugh... fine..." 

I laughed and Brie looked at me weirdly; I shook my head slightly as a squeal erupted from behind us.

"It's perfect!" May walked out of the changing room, twirling as she did so. I couldn't help but smile. She was wearing a beautiful, lilac dress. It wasn't too complex and yet not too simple- it was perfect and she looked incredible. Brie's eyes widened as she took in the sight in front of her.

"Oh my god May, you look gorgeous!" She said, grinning. Suddenly, she swivelled, turning to me once again, "Two down, one to go." I rolled my eyes.

"When did you pick something?" Brie just grinned at me.

"Last weekend!" She exclaimed and I narrowed my eyebrows.

"You said you needed to come too!" I retorted and the girl just brushed it off.

"I did. I had to make sure you two didn't turn up looking like idiots!" I sighed as Brie reached into one of the racks and pulled out a dress. It was grey and skin-tight with a strange ladder going up the sides. My face crinkled up,

"No," I grunted and both Brie and May rolled their eyes.

"Picky as ever," May muttered before heading back into the changing room to take off the dress. I frowned and Brie just chuckled.

"Oh come on, you are like the fussiest and most indecisive person I know!" She cried.

"I know that! But you don't need to point it out!" She took a breath at this, glancing to the dresses around her.

"Just... get started..." She murmured, the exhaustion slowly creeping into her voice. 

"Fine."

***

1 hour and 35 minutes later...

"This is it. This is the one!" I cried, thirty minutes before the shop was about to shut. Half of the customers stared at me after my sudden outburst but I couldn't care less. I had finally found it- the perfect dress.

"Finally! You look stunning Mels... now hurry up, let's go!" May said, with a slightly argumentive tone. I could tell that both of my friends were exhausted but I let myself have a moment, smiling at myself in the mirror- Thalia was going to love it.

A/N

I hope you enjoyed! I'm sorry this is so late but the next few chapters should be more or less soon because this book is almost finished! I have the next few chapters pretty much planned and I'm also going to add an epilogue.  This is a short book but it is also my first ever so I really hope you've enjoyed! However, I do have a ton of editing to do because I know some of the beginning chapters are not... perfect and also maybe add a couple of chapters here and there, where the story needs developing. So basically, this book is going to be a mess for a bit until I get everything sorted as a final draft. I'll probably let you all know when it's done through an announcement or something!

As always, thank you all for reading and voting- I'm almost at 5K reads which is actually mindblowing so thank you so much! Have a lovely day!

PS- I was so tempted to make Alexa and Riley, Clarke and Lexa but I refrained myself 😂