I Wish

Kye's POV

I watched them walk in together. She was so happy. To think I'd spent all morning worrying about what I was going to say- what I was going to do. I wondered if she'd ever loved me at all, or if I was just someone to protect her from the truth. The truth that seemed horribly obvious standing here watching them laugh together. Don't get me wrong, I was glad she's okay; of course, I was. I just wished it were me sat beside her on the school fence. I wished it were me gazing into her chocolate brown eyes.

Was that selfish?

I'd be lying if I'd said I didn't love her still. And I hated it. I hated that I loved her so much that I could barely be mad at her. Was I the one that should be angry? My gaze fell upon Brie and May approaching Mel slowly. They both embraced her in a hug and my heart throbbed. I wanted to hug her. I wanted to kiss her. But, she was so happy, she was so full of life, I just couldn't bring myself to ruin it. And it ruined me. Taylor placed his hand on my shoulder,

"I'm sorry dude," he said in a pained tone. It was almost as if he saw what I saw in her. The beautiful spirited girl behind all of the sarcasm and pointless humour.

"I just... miss her..." I mumbled to him.

"I know..." He murmured in response, placing a hand on my shoulder. I just nodded sadly and turned away. I had to let her go. I had to let us go.

Mel's POV

I stared at the clock on the wall. Ten minutes until I saw her again. Ten minutes until music. I was trying to concentrate on how Rosalind Franklin helped develop the first-ever DNA structure however, I was so overwhelmed with anticipation that I could barely think. Mr Coleman turned to address me,

"Mel, Do you think Rosalind Franklin was under-credited for her discovery?" I glanced down hoping that I'd written at least a few notes. To my dismay, there were only two sentences, one with the four words: Adenine, Guanine, Thymine and Cytosine and the other just the names Watson and Crick written down. What made it worse, I didn't have a clue what any of it meant,

"I... guess," I murmured slowly, gripping my pencil tighter. Eight minutes.

"Why?" Mr Coleman looked at me expectantly. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I wasn't paying attention- what an idiot. That was when another voice saved my embarrassment; Kye answered from across the room, his eyes on me.

"Because she spent so long perfecting her research and all Watson and Crick did was get lucky enough to have an early look at it and come to a final result just a second quicker. Then they just moved on, forgetting she ever existed." His eyes were still piercing into my skin. I could feel each prick like a jolt to my chest. The guilt surrounded me. I was buried in it. Seven Minutes.

"Lovely answer Kye. Mel, pay more attention." I breathed deep. The clock ticks became louder. Mr Coleman was still talking but I wasn't listening. Six, Five, Four, Three, Two... The bell rung.

"Mel? Can I speak to you for a second?" I glanced over to where Mr Coleman had sat down on his desk. Brie raised her eyebrows at me and I shrugged. As I walked towards his desk she grabbed my hand, squeezing loosely. I smiled at her as she left.

"Mel... I know recent events may be troubling you," He glanced to where Kye is gathering his books, "But, you are one of the most promising students I have, and I'd hate to have you fall behind and fail your SAT's. You just, need to make sure you aren't letting your personal life get in the way of schoolwork." I could feel the scarlet rise into my cheeks as I smiled wearily back at him.

"Sir, I'm really sorry. I've been... distracted recently, I promise it won't happen again."

"It better not. Now go, you've got lessons." I turned on my heel and walked out of the classroom, my steps quicker than they were usually. Had my grades slipped that bad? I thought about that conversation as I walked across the school to my next class. Had I been letting my life get in the way of school? How could I fix it?

But the questions all slip away when my gaze fell upon her. She was sat, grinning at me from the front row, I slipped into the seat next to her.

I smiled back

***

"So..." She murmured.

"So?" I said in response before we both burst out laughing. I let my fingers graze along the frets of the guitar before I hear her speak.

"Play me something..." She smiled as I looked up at her and I just couldn't help but smile back.

"I... don't really..." I pause, "Shouldn't we be working on the song?" She just grinned in response, shifting slightly on her chair.

"All we've done is work on the song..." I rolled my eyes at this, hovering my fingers above the ninth fret of the A string, sliding my finger down the fret to the eleventh, I then pull my hand into a shape similar to a C, playing the G string with my ring finger on the ninth fret. From there I begin the riff to the song, letting the music guide my hands up and down the fretboard. I close my eyes, humming as I begin to play the rhythm, singing each of the words in my head- lost in the music.

Each note echos through the room, my hand travelling up and down the frets, thumb hitting the bass string every other beat. I reached the chorus of the song, eyes still closed. I was listening to each and every note, how they all fit together like a thousand broken shards of a single plate. Like a thousand drops of water in an infinite sea.

And when the song finally came to an end, I opened my eyes slowly, looking up at her. Her expression was only what one could describe as awe, her eyes softened, mouth slightly open.

"What's it called?" She asked slowly and I smiled at her, our gazes latching.

"Slow Dancing in a Burning Room..."

The Song:

A/N

Thank you so much for reading, it means the absolute world. I do hope you are enjoying it so far, If you are, feel free to let me know and also please vote! Thank you all again so much! Have a great day/ evening!

Edited