Us

Mel's POV

I was nuzzled in Thalia's arms, lying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. It was a perfect moment- the two of us together. We weren't doing anything special; we weren't under the stars; we hadn't spent loads of money on a romantic getaway. We were just- here. Here- together and it was better than any concert or party because it was just my heart beating steadily next to hers. The movement of her chest beside mine. The slow contractions of her lungs, each one keeping her alive, with me for a second longer. We didn't speak- instead, we listened to the silence in the air. The undisturbed particles, floating aimlessly in the air above us. It was a happy silence. The kind of silence that reassures you that everything will be okay.

Thalia had gotten back half an hour after school finished; I had busied myself with bits of homework until then. The moment she walked through the door, I flung myself into her arms whilst my mom had watched in amusement and maybe a little bit of adoration. We had then walked up to my room and she recounted her day, including meeting a cute little boy named Holland- he sounded amazing. Then we had kind of just laid there; I'd expected it to be awkward, but it wasn't. It was peaceful.

"Mel..." She finally spoke, breaking the silence. I moved closer to her, drawing her body heat and murmured.

"Mm...?" She placed a soft kiss on my forehead and smiled.

"You look so beautiful..." I snorted and turned my head into her neck, purposely hiding my face.

"No... I'm a mess..." I squealed as she tickled me in protest to my statement. I squirmed beside her and she sat on top of me to stop me from moving. With both of my arms pinned above my head by hers, she silenced me with a soft kiss.

"If only you could see yourself through my eyes..." She whispered into my neck, slowly trailing kisses down my skin. I felt a swift jolt of electricity run through my body and squirmed again. She laughed, letting go of my hands so I could wrap them around her neck. Her eyes latched onto mine and we both smiled- both just happy to be in each others presence. I trailed my hand down her shoulder, across her arm and she spun her gaze to me only seconds after. I love that dumb smile. She then abruptly laid back down on me, smiling devilishly. I smiled at the cute expression painted all over her face and kissed her nose.

"Movie Night tonight?" She said, smiling. I tucked my arm around her and nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes, please!" We both grinned and took the moment to gaze into each other's eyes. The moment to be truly enveloped in each other's embrace- to be together.

***

I breathed deep, squeezing Thaila's hand tighter as the credits rolled on the screen in front of us.

"Babe..." I murmured, into the warm air between us.

"Yea..." She responded, squeezing my hand in return. I let the corners of my mouth curve a little as I looked into her exhausted eyes.

"I want to hold hands with you at school. I want to be able to kiss you and stare at you like some dumb, lovesick teenager..." Her eyes widened as she understood what I was saying.

"Are you sure?" She said, caressing my cheek softly, "Being out at school is a big thing... it's not easy..."

"Nothing about this is easy... Except, I know the amount you mean to me, and I don't want to hide that..." I watched the smile creep happily across her face. When I had first said this, I myself wasn't exactly 110% ready but- who is? What I did know was that it would mean the world to the girl beside me and all I ever wanted to do was to make her happy. Truth was, I was dreading the minute I would have to walk into that corridor- dreading the look on Kye's face as my hand slipped into hers. I couldn't help but feel bad- like I had done something wrong. I knew he was in love with me... and I couldn't love him. Is that my fault?

I turned to her to say something else but found the beautiful red-headed girl, asleep on my shoulder. I smiled and placed my head on top of hers, letting myself drift off into a night of uninterrupted sleep. What was to happen tomorrow, would happen tomorrow... There was no point of worrying tonight.

***

And the morning had come as quickly as the sleep had the previous night. I was going to miss waking up in the arms of the person I felt safest with. I had woken my girlfriend with a small flick on the nose, watching her face stretch into a lazy smile seconds later. She shuffled a little and I pressed my nose to hers, laying down on the bed beside her.

"Morning! Normally you are the morning person... what happened?" I exclaimed, moving my nose left and right against hers; something I'd previously seen in whatever cheesy romance film my mother had put on when I was younger. The red-headed girl, in front of me, mumbled and turned over so I couldn't see her face. In response to her distance, I wrap my arms around her waist and slot my head on her shoulder, whispering in her ear,

"Babe... are you okay...?" I murmured, feeling the rise and fall of her chest against my own.

"I'm starting to like it when you use that word, you know?" I kiss her lightly on the neck and then proceed to scold her for trying to change the subject.

"I'm serious..." I said softly, drawing the warmth from her skin. She breathed a heavy sigh and turned over to face me once again.

"I'm scared..." She murmured, vulnerability slowly filling her eyes. I watched it stretch and fill her whole face until I had seen a side to her I doubt many knew of, "I'm scared that I'll like this family and that they'll leave me. Or I'll have to leave them. I'm scared for my mum... I'm... terrified actually." It's never easy to admit when you're scared. I know that for a fact even now- years later- I still find it hard. Maybe it's because you want to seem perfect and unflawed to the people who care about you. See the one thing I had hated the most was when there so obviously something bothering May or Brie, but they would persist by saying 'I'm fine' or 'There's nothing to worry about...' yet, I would do the same. Because in truth, I didn't want them to see me as vulnerable or weak. And as this girl showed me all her truths, all her weaknesses- as she let me in, I knew, right then and there that I was going to fall in love. I'd never tell her that of course- are you crazy? We'd barely been dating a week if even...

But I knew.

"Hey, remember, if everything goes to hell, you always have me. I will always be there for you. I swear it. Even if we're in some stupid argument, if anything happens- I'm here. You have no need to be scared- everything comes with risk- I'm proud you are taking them." The girl smiled at my response and took a moment before leaning in to kiss me once again. A soft and fragile kiss- more meaningful and intimate than any other previous. Then again, every kiss means just a little more than the last.

"Thank you, Melody. I've never quite met anyone quite like you, you know?"

"How so?" I replied, smiling softly at her.

"I've never met a soul as beautiful and caring as yours..." She murmured, coming closer to me with every word.

"You can see my soul?" I said, only slightly unnerved, sitting up against the bedframe.

"Every part. And every inch is a beautiful and pure as the last- I can't wait until everybody knows how much you mean to me..." She sits up next to me, running her thumb swiftly across my cheek. The sparks of electricity from her touch followed the rumbling pit of anxiety that was growing in my stomach. I breathed out slowly. Everything would be okay... 

A/N

Thanks for reading, I am sorry this is so late, I'm just feeling a little uninspired for this book... Thank you all so much for 1k reads it means the absolute world and even though I know the updating process is incredibly slow (I'm sorry) Thank you to those who have stuck around! I did want to add that I think I'm going to let this book come to a close soon. I have more chapters planned so there will be quite a bit more, however, probably less than originally planned. Thank you all again for reading (I could never express my gratitude enough)  and have a lovely day!