A Prince and a Princess

Mel's POV

You'd think love would be a simple concept. Like... boy meets girl and at first sight, their hearts belong to the other. In Disney films where the princess meets her prince for the first time. When there's that one decent guy who helps you pick up your stuff from your locker, takes you on romantic getaways to the top of the tallest hill in the town. You watch the sunset in each other's arms. A prince and his princess.

I'd always wanted a fairytale life. I'd always wanted a prince to sweep me off of my feet. I'd thought Kye was that prince and I'd thought we'd fall in love like in those movies and although we'd face some rough patches, we'd get through everything. At least, that's what they told me to think. Never once did I realise that maybe I'd like to be the prince whisking the princess off of her feet. Never once did I realise that love really isn't that simple at all.

I was scared. I mean, of course, I was scared. My world was about to be flipped on its head. Funny thing is, when I was with her, I didn't care about the consequences. I didn't care what my friends would think. Yet, the second she left my side, the doubt, the insecurities, it all came flooding back. If love is so rare and precious, why couldn't I love who I wanted without the worry someone would reject me for it? Did I love her?

I remember when I was around 14, lying on my bed staring at the ceiling wishing, praying that I didn't have to be alone- that I could find someone. I turned my head to where the beautiful girl was sleeping, her head rested on my shoulder. I was falling. We hadn't really talked about the whole thing. Like why she didn't want us to happen or the whole rushing into a relationship thing. Or even the fact that I wasn't even out yet. I guess we didn't want to ruin the moment.

There were so many gaps. So many reasons this would never work...

The train, which was to take us home, jolted slightly and the girl lifted her head from my shoulder, smiling up at me,

"You okay?" She asked and I connected our gazes. She knew. The immediate moment I had started worrying- she knew. I reached to entwine our fingers and sighed slowly,

"I'm... scared. I really want this to work, me and you. But, what if we're rushing into things? We haven't even talked about the whole 'I'm not good enough' fiasco," I felt my body tense as I spoke. It seemed Thalia felt it too because she rested her head on my shoulder once again, willing me to breathe.

"I really like you. I'm scared too- of course, I am. This isn't easy and it's not supposed to be easy," She began to rub her thumb in circles along the back of my hand, "I'm scared that I'm not giving you as much as you deserve... that I'm too broken..."

I grabbed the back of her neck and shifted her head toward mine using my thumb.

"You couldn't be more perfect for me. You make me so happy, even in the worst moments. Just... being here- with you." Silence clustered in the carriage as the train chugged slowly into the station. She was studying me, her eyes darting back and forth every few seconds. A beep sounded and the doors slide open. Then, before we got out, she pressed her lips against mine. I could feel the eyes of everyone in the train digging into my back but I couldn't care less. I savoured the feel of her lips on mine and even as she pulled away, I could still taste the fresh scent of strawberries against my lips. I grabbed her hand and we walked out- fingers entwined.

***

The key turned in the lock of my house. Click. I opened the door, my hand still in hers, only to see the face of the person I least expected,

"Dad?" The scruffy, bearded, dark-haired man in front of me cracked a massive smile and opened his arms for a hug. I stepped back, "No... No, you can't be here," I murmured.

"What d'ya mean kiddo?! Come on now, give your old man a hug!" I felt Thalia pull me closer to her, I looked up and watched her ocean green eyes fill with caution.

"Come on kid! Tell me, who's this girl, eh?" He moved closer and I stood up taller. My heart was racing but he had to know... he had to know that he couldn't just waltz in here and become a part of my life- Not again. You will not hurt me again.

"'This girl' is my girlfriend and you are not welcome here. You lost that right last time you screwed up our perfectly fine lives!" I shouted the words before I even knew what I was saying. In my peripheral vision, I saw my mom flinch a little at the word girlfriend. I breathed in, I'd already screwed it up, might as well go a little further, "If you forgot father last time you were here, we moved across states to get away from you. Reappearing and disappearing as you wish, taking money when you feel like it. Taking my college money!" I felt the tears burning in my eyes, the memories searing the back of my skull. Thalia's grip on my arm tightened and I watched the expression on my dad's face turn from happiness to anger.

"Excuse me, I think you forgot who you are talking to, young lady! I am your father, need I remind you? You will not speak to me in that tone. And as for her..." He looked at her with a hint of disgust then opened his mouth to speak before he was cut off by the voice of my mom.

"I've had it with you, Robert! I'm not taking your shit anymore! I'm not going to sit around while you insult my daughter. I let you back into our lives because I was afraid to lose what we had and I was afraid for my daughter to lose her father. But it seems we lost you a long time ago!," My mother grabbed his bag and chucked it at his chest, "Get out. Get out! And don't come back- ever!" She snapped at him. He stood for what seemed like a lifetime before speaking,

"Julie... babe..." Mom glared at him in return, " Alright fine. Have a nice life."

Then the door slammed and the only people left in the room were me, my mom and the girl I'd just announced to be my girlfriend...

What had just happened?

A/N

Sorry!!!! I haven't posted a chapter in so long, I forgot and there is literally no excuse. 

Anyways, thanks for reading as always, it means the world and I do hope you are enjoying the storyline so far... I don't have a preplan so things are happening as I'm thinking but you never know, I may add a chapter here and there... Tsym!!! Have an amazing day!

(Edited)