Thirteen

After that, (Name) didn't meet Sasuke.Since they were in different classes, the only place where they met was the library - and that too because Sasuke came. (Name) had never once made the effoert to meet him. Sasuke had stopped coming altogether, and (Name) still saw that as a good thing. Her peaceful days were back, although for some time she was a bit alert looking for signs of him in case he came again. After he did not show up, (Name) was relieved that Sasuke finally gave up pestering her for good.

She went home at her usual time. That day, somehow, the 'popular' group was also leaving school at the same time. They had actually left later than usual. (Name) could have stayed longer, but for some reason she got bored of the library at school and was heading to the local library. Or maybe she would head home first, leave her bag there, freshen up, and then go. Any way, she didn't bother.

Being herself, she completely ignored the group as she passed by. Nobody noticed her either. But she couldn't help looking for Sasuke in that crowd. He wasn't there. She wondered where he must be.

But, that was none of her business.

(Name) shook her head to clear her thoughts and continued walking. Sasuke was always fooling around, and what was special that day ? He must have found another 'lucky' someone to bother.

But for some reason, she had a bad feeling.

She walked quickly in order to avoid being noticed by Naruto. The rest of the group may not bother, but something told her that she could never escape Naruto's eyes. Seeing that he was busy quarelling with some guy in the group, (Name) took it as a chance to slip away. She didn't want him to notice her. That would attract attention. (Name) hated attention.

Somehow she walked fast by the group without being noticed, but just as she was about to turn round the corner and out of their sights, someone called her.

"(Name) !!"

She could never fail to recognize that loud voice of Naruto, even while sleeping. Unintentionally, she stopped. But she did not turn. She continued walking.

"Hey, (Name) !! I know you heard me !!" yelled Naruto again. This time, his voice sounded closer.

(Name) stopped and turned around with the most hateful face she could ever make. Naruto was already behind her. He slightly pouted.

"You didn't have to ignore me, you know. At least not when it was obvious that you heard me." he said.

"If you knew I heard you and I still ignored you, you should also know that that has a meaning." said (Name), glaring at Naruto.

"What meaning ?" asked Naruto, making the best innocent face he could make.

(Name) raised her eyebrows at him.

"Look Uzumaki Naruto, I know you're dumb, but this-this is just too much. Do you need me to tell you that if I ignored you on purpose, I do not want to talk to you ? Oops, I already did." scoffed (Name), and turned to leave.

"Why, you..." hissed Naruto behind her.

"She kind of reminds you of Sasuke, right ?" said somebody.

Once again, (Name) spun around with her best hateful face. The group had already gathered around, and Naruto was red with anger.

"Stole the words out of my mouth, Shikamaru." said a brown-haired guy who wore a hoodie.

"It just crossed my mind." said Shikamaru.

"What's your problem, Pineapple ?" asked (Name).

That earned a few light laughs.

"Pineapple ?! Who the hell is Pineapple ?! My name is Shikamaru, Nara Shikamaru. And that hateful face you're making is really cruel."

Shikamaru angrily glared at (Name). She glared back, and then shrugged it off.

"Actually, I was thinking about this since 'that' day." said Shikamaru.

'That' day meant the day Sasuke tried to play around with (Name) by confessing the feelings he never had for her and asking her out. Even the dumbest of mankind would have no trouble figuring that out.

"What do you mean, 'that' day, Shikamaru ?" asked Naruto.

Okay, so there was somebody who did not get it. Everyone looked at Naruto as if to say, "Seriously ?!" Who could possibly forget the day on which Sasuke was humiliated by a girl - a nerd, nonetheless - in front of the whole school ? Shikamaru opened his mouth to explain to Naruto, but Naruto interrupted him,

"Oh, oh, I remember !! That day when Sasuke asked (Name) out but she turned him down pretty horribly, right ?" said Naruto, with his eyes glistening brightly as if he had just got the top score on a test he was expecting to fail.

"That was an act, Naruto." said Sakura, and Ino nodded in agreement.

Sakura glared at (Name). The tone of her voice was very cruel too. (Name) just looked at her.

"Alright, let's go !!" said Naruto, noticing the tension slowly building up between (Name) and Sakura.

He locked his arm with (Name) and pulled her ahead, walking so fast that (Name) almost tripped on her feet.

"Where are you taking me ?" asked (Name), trying to wiggle her arm free, but with no success. She knew the rest of the group was following close by.

"We're going to spend the evening at Sakura's place. You should come along." said Naruto, grinning widely.

(Name) exhaled loudly and frowned at Naruto.

"..and who are you to decide that ? I don't want to hang out with you." she said.

I do not like Sakura. Or your group.

"I just thought.. "

"Besides, I already have plans." said (Name).

"Ooh~ What plans ?" asked Naruto, wiggling his eyebrows. (Name) made a sour face.

"You're disgusting" she said, "I'm just heading to the library."

"Okay." said Naruto to (Name). Then, he turned and yelled to the rest of the group who were catching up slowly, "Hey, guys !! I suddenly remembered I have something else to do !! I don't think I can come !!"

Once again, Naruto pulled (Name) along with him as he jogged. He waved to his group.

"Hey. Do you think I'm going to help you with this 'something' ? Stop dragging me along." said (Name).

Naruto laughed.

"Actually, I'm just accompanying you to the library." he said.

"Which part of 'I don't want to hang out with you' do you not understand ?" asked (Name).

"I just... Ah, never mind." said Naruto.

I just want to spend as much time as possible with Sasuke's future girlfriend, or maybe wife, to get to know her, thought Naruto. This was what he wanted to say, but he valued his life very much and kept his mouth shut.

(Name) glared at him, but let him tag along anyway.

The group saw Naruto and (Name) head off together.

"I bet he's going with (Name) to wherever she's going." said Kiba, trying to look very knowledgeable.

"Shut up. Everyone knows you heard Naruto say that." scoffed Ino.

"N-naruto.." muttered Hinata, holding her hands up to her chest.

"Don't be nervous, Hinata. Naruto's not interested in (Name) that way." assured KIba, patting Hinata on her back, so hard that she almost lost her balance. Neji glared at Kiba, who ignored him.

"But seriously, what does Sasuke see in that lame girl to give her so much attention ?" mumbled Ino, but nobody heard her.

(Name) walked to her house silently. It was late, but the sun was still up. Naruto had asked to walk her home, but she declined. He had kept talking non-stop at the library and on the way that (Name) was already sick of his company. As (Name)'s house came into her sight, she had that bad feeling again. But she shrugged it off. She walked faster.

(Name) put the key in the keyhole, but the door was not locked. She may have forgotten in the morning, she thought. She put her hand on the handle. For some reason, she hesitated for a moment before she opened the door and barged in. There were many pairs of shoes in front of her.

"Oh, (Name)'s home !!" someone yelled from inside.

(Name) stood frozen as a person whose face she had not seen for a quite long time but could never forget it stepped in front of her.

"It's been a while, (Name)."

(Name) gasped.

"Dad."