Chapter 4: Dreams Crushed

After he got dressed, Pete took the four of them down to the laundry room and threw them against the wall before they fell to the ground.

"Now listen, you yardsticks. I am sick and tired of your screw-ups. You guys are hopeless. I leave you for five minutes and I come back to a disaster!" Pete yelled at them, looked at Jamie, then shouted at her, "And what about you?! You were supposed to make sure they stay out of trouble."

"Please don't be mad at Jamie, Captain Pete. It was our fault. But we were practicing our teamwork so we can be good musketeers," Mickey said.

"Musketeers?" Pete asked with a chuckle.

Pete laughed uncontrollably at that.

"We already have a woman in the musketeers. Now you guys wanna join?" Pete guffawed.

Jamie crossed her arms while glaring at Pete as the other just looked at each other in confusion.

"That's priceless," Pete said once he calmed down.

"But we could work really hard...and prove ourselves, Captain Pete. And Jamie has done a great job with teaching us the basics. Then would you let us be musketeers?" Mickey asked.

"Well, there's four things wrong with that. One..." Pete started toward Donald, making him click like a chicken then hide under his hat then continued before turning to Goofy, "You're a coward. Two..."

Goofy was just giving a dumbfounded smile while drooling, confiding Pete.

"We're sorry. The number you've reached has been disconnected," a phone line seemed to say in Goofy's head.

"You're a doofus," Pete groaned then told Jamie, "Three: you're just a woman. No one will ever take you seriously as a musketeer. It was a miracle that you became one."

This made her a little upset, but she kept her composure.

"And as for you...well, you're just too small," he told Mickey then continued, "Why, I wouldn't have you yahoos as musketeers even if you were the last recruits in all of my beloved France!"

He smushed Mickey's nose in, but he brought it back.

"So, you won't need this, will you?" Pete said, taking Mickey's hat, rolled it into a ball, then mocked as he handed it back, "Yeah. Here, kid. Have a ball."

He then laughed and went to the exit. Mickey put it on his head, about to cry.

"Have a ball! That's a good one! I'm going to send that one in to the Digest," Pete chortled then slammed the door.

The piles of uniforms landed on the four of them before Mickey's hat popped back to what it looked like then landed on Mickey's head. Then the guys all looked at Jamie, who was leaving sadly.

"Jamie," Goofy called, making her turn around, then he told her, "Don't listen to Captain Pete. You're the best musketeer ever. And we should know since you taught us the basics."

Donald and Mickey nodded in agreement.

She showed a hint of a smile, saying, "Thanks, guys. I'm glad you basically took me in after I lost my family."

"You didn't lose them. They're in your heart," Mickey told her.

"And you having us in your life makes your family bigger," Donald pointed out.

"I guess so," Jamie giggled then added, "Well, I gotta go back to training. I'll see you guys later."

They waved bye to each other and went back to doing their duties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Will the guys get their chance to be musketeers? *cough cough* Yes! *cough cough* Excuse me. 😜😇