Chapter 24: Mickey Learns the Truth

As Mickey was guarding his post, he heard Pluto, coming his way and barking in a panic.

"Pluto. Pluto, slow down, boy. What is it? Whoa!" Mickey asked.

Pluto dragged Mickey to Goofy's post.

"Hey, where's Goofy?" Mickey wondered.

Pluto whimpered in response.

"Donald!" Mickey realized then he and Pluto went to check on him.

At Donald's post, Mickey found the bush in the shape of scared Donald with his hat and sword.

"And Jamie hasn't shown up yet?" Mickey asked, making Pluto shake his head, then Mickey commented, "Something strange is going on here."

Then they heard "Psst" from one of the suits of armor.

"Who's there? You better come out of there, or I'm coming in after you!" Mickey threatened.

It opened its helmet to reveal Donald.

"Donald? What's the big idea? Come down from there! Why aren't you at your post?" Mickey asked as Donald exited the suit of armor.

"We got to get Goofy and Jamie and get out of here!" Donald warned, pulling Mickey close.

"Goofy and Jamie? Where are they? They're not at their posts either. And actually, Jamie never came, which isn't like her," Mickey pointed out.

"Oh, no! He's already got Goofy and Jamie!" Donald yelled, trying to pull Mickey along.

"Wait! Who's got Goofy and Jamie? Donald...stop!" Mickey remarked, pulling himself free, then asked, "Donald, are you nuts? What's going on?"

"Pete is gonna kidnap Princess Minnie, so he can become king because he's really a bad guy, and he has a secret lair, and it's really dark and scary! So the point is he's gonna kill us if we get in his way! So we should run now as far away as we can!" Donald explained over dramatically.

(A/N Ever since I watched the movie with the subtitles once years ago, I could understand what he said. Before then, I couldn't. 😂)

Mickey and Pluto looked at each other, completely dumbfounded.

"Donald, I can't understand a word you say," Mickey said.

"No!" Donald shouted, scooped up Mickey, whose hat flew off, then ran for the doors.

"Put me down! Whoa! We can't leave our posts like this! What would Captain Pete say?" Mickey asked.

"Captain Pete is the bad guy!" Donald exclaimed.

"Captain Pete is the bad guy?" Mickey questioned.

Mickey gripped the end of the stairs, freeing himself and making Donald stop and turn back.

"Pete's trying to kidnap the princess?" Mickey wondered.

"Exactly!" Donald answered.

"But he made us musketeers," Mickey pointed out in confusion.

"It was all a lie," Donald replied.

"A lie? Well, lie or no lie, musketeers don't run from danger. And as long as we wear these uniforms, neither do we," Mickey remarked.

"You said it!" Donald agreed, tore off his musketeer uniform to where he was in his regular blue sailor's outfit, then exclaimed with suitcases before running away, "It's every duck for himself!"

"Donald, wait! Together, we can stop Captain Pete. Remember how we rescued the princess?" Mickey reminded, stopping Donald.

Donald stammered until he admitted, "I was hiding."

"Hiding? Well...tonight, you came back to warn us and that took courage, Donald. Come on. I'll be right beside you because we're friends," Mickey assured.

Donald looked at Mickey, feeling sorry that he felt he couldn't do it.

"I just can't. I'm sorry," Donald shook his head shamefully then ran off.

"Donald!" Mickey called.

Mickey became sad as his friend disappeared into the fog.

"Donald," Mickey whispered in sadness.

Pluto whimpered as he handed Mickey his hat.

"Thanks, boy," Mickey thanked then sniffled.

Pluto then caught scent of something then growled at something, or someone, behind Mickey.

"What is it? What is it, boy?" Mickey wondered.

That's when evil chuckling was heard, making Mickey turn around. A tall figure stepped out of the shadows to reveal Pete.

"Well, well, well. If it ain't the one musketeer," Pete smirked.

"Captain Pete, by the power vested in me as a musketeer, I arrest you, mister!" Mickey snapped.

"That's a good one! Well, how about this? By the power invested in my fist, I clobber you!" Pete laughed as he held his fist up.

Mickey gasped and tried to pull his sword out in time, but Pete's fist was faster and Mickey was knocked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N NO!!!