III. A Nighttime Visitor

Chapter Three
Obi Wan

"Captain Typho has his men stationed at every entrance of the building," I inform both Padmé and Anakin as I reenter the room, finding them talking quietly to each other near the window. "I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to sneak in that way, but we can't be too careful."

Padmé smiles at me gratefully, the relief on her face echoed around her in the force. "I'm grateful he could be of help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do. She means a great deal to me."

I nod to her, smiling lightly. "Of course, my lady."

She glances between me and Anakin, her voice slightly weary as she informs me; "I spoke with Genevieve about the cameras being put in her room, and she felt that was unnecessary. I had Anakin help me program R2 to alert you if anything suspicious goes on."

I had a feeling this wouldn't go well, but I try to give the senator a firm look, urging her to reconsider. "With all due respect to the queen's wishes, there are many other ways to kill a monarch. It would be safer to have the cameras."

Padmé nods understandingly, but she doesn't cave. "Genevieve and I discussed it and she agreed that if someone tries something, that she would very much like to catch them. She's agreed to be used as bait."

I raise my eyebrows, wanting to argue further, but knowing it will get me nowhere, I nod my head in defeat, forcing a smile Padmé's way. "We will make sure no harm will come to her."

She smiles softly to us, and in her eyes I can tell she is happy to have won this debate. She nods the two of us goodnight, making her way towards her bedroom, with Anakin watching her as she leaves.

Once the senator's door shuts, I give my apprentice a pointed look. "It is not wise for you to be gawking at the senator like that, Anakin. We have a job to do, you cannot let yourself become distracted."

He leans his back against the window, crossing his arms and giving me an amused expression. "Well that's a bit hypercritical, Master. You should have seen the way you were looking at the queen."

I stare at him in bewilderment. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

Anakin shrugs, looking back towards the hallway where the queen's room is. "She was very upset earlier. I could feel her sorrow, it was like a knife slowly being plunged into my heart. It's times like this I wish the force didn't call to me."

I let out a sigh, shrugging off my robe and lying it down on the couch next to me, making my way over towards Anakin, looking out towards the city. "I felt it too. The rebellion on her planet wasn't enough, but to deal with that along with the death of her father..."

I had met many kings and queens throughout my life, but none like Queen Genevieve. With every monarch there is a role they play, much like a Jedi; a leader, a protector, a keeper of peace. It's almost like a mask you put on every time you walk into a room. But in her mask I saw many cracks. I saw the vulnerability that lies underneath. I felt and saw her pain and sorrow, even her fear. None of which was for herself and her safety, but for her people. She doesn't seem to care that someone might be trying to kill her like her father. I find myself forming a deep respect for the queen.

"If that's how she's feeling imagine how her people are feeling." Anakin says, his voice quiet, deep in thought.

I feel my expression soften, placing a firm hand on my padawan's shoulder. "I know you want to help her people as much as she does, but our job is to keep her safe. We have to respect the council's wishes."