LIX. New Missions

Chapter Fifty-Nine
Anakin

The Jedi council are very energetic today, all of them practically jumping with the idea of the war coming to an end. Now that Dooku is dead, all they can think about is General Grevious, all they can think about is the end of the war.

Their spirits were dampened however when I walked in and told them about what Palpatine requested. Master Windu seems the most disturbed by this move by the Chancellor.

"Allow this appointment lightly, the council does not." Master Yoda says gravely, glancing between me and Mastwr Windu.

I nod to them. "I understand."

"You are on this council," Master Windu says. "But we don't grant you the rank of master."

I feel my eyes widen, feel my sentence come out breathless as I ask; "What?"

I look to Obi Wan, finding his eyebrows knitted in concern, his hand rubbing his beard as he is lost in thought. I look back to Windu, crossing my arms. "This is outrageous, completely unfair. How can you be on the council and not be given the rank of master?"

"Take a seat, young Skywalker." Master Windu says, showing emphasis on the word 'young'.

I press my lips tightly together and force myself to bow, stalking over to my vacant seat, feeling the eyes of the entire council on me. I glance at Obi Wan again, who gives me a sympathetic look, which is the only small comfort I have right now.

Master Mundi begins to speak, his voice very grave as he says; "We have surveyed the major systems of the outer rim and still see no sign of General Grevious."

"He can't hide forever," Master Fisto says. "I have no doubts the outer rim is where we will find him."

"The outlying regions is where we should search." Master Windu says.

"We don't have many ships to spare." Master Mundi points out.

Obi Wan, sits up more, looking to Yoda as he suggests; "Queen Daulton has many connections to the outer rim. I am sure she would be willing to use those connections to help in our search, as well as let us use some of her ships."

Master Windu nods his head. "Very well, contact the queen immediately."

"What about the droid attack on the Wookiee's? Kashyyyk is a planet we cannot afford to loose." Master Luminera states.

"Assist them, I will. Good relations with the Wookiee's, I have."

Master Windu smiles at Yoda. "It's settled then. Yoda will assist Kashyyyk while Obi Wan and Queen Daulton assist in the search for Grevious. May the force be with us all."

-

"How can they do this?" I ask Obi Wan as we exit the council chamber. We walk through the halls of the temple side by side, the setting sun of Coruscant casting an orange glow over us. I usually can appreciate the beauty of the temple, the majestic nature of Coruscant, the planet of cities. But right now everything seems dull. The beauty of my surroundings annoys me.

"Calm down, Anakin—"

"This has never been done in the history of the Jedi, it's insulting."

"To be on the council at your age has never happened before," Obi Wan tells me, trying his best to justify the council despite the conflict I sense in him over it. "The truth is, you are far too close to the Chancellor for the council's liking. They don't trust him, therefore they don't trust you."