LII. Downfalls Of Neutrality

Chapter Fifty-Two
Genevieve

Standing outside the entrance to the Taris senate pod, I adjust my crown, not used to the weighty object on my head. Padmé assists me, as well as smooths out the dress I picked out for today; pale pink floor length gown, long sleeves that slowly fade into white as they reach my wrists, a high collar with a low cut on the back. I made sure to pick comfortable shoes to wear today. The last time I stood before the senate I chose to do so in heels, which I regretted not even ten minutes into the meeting. Thankfully I'm wearing white flats to avoid that splintering pain.

Padmé takes my hand, giving me a wink. "Let's go kick some ass."

I chuckle softly, nodding confidently to her. She lets go of me and cups Aiden's face, giving him a quick kiss before she makes her way to her own pod. I look around the other pods, seeing the senators flooding inside, chatter beginning to bounce around the walls of the senate building. Aiden holds his hand out to me and I take it, watching his smile grow. "You ready, my queen?"

I nod. "Let's do this." Hand in hand we walk into the pod, with my free hand absentmindedly laying on my stomach. Ever since I learned the news of my pregnancy I have done this often, because anytime I think of my child, I feel like anything is possible. My child is proof of that.

The Chancellor steps into his pod, raising his arms to indicate silence. The senators follow his instructions, waiting patiently as he says; "The senate is now in session. We are here to discuss the possible republic invasion of Mandalore in response to Duchess Satine's distress call. What say you?"

"The republic should stay out of this," the senator from Dantooine says. "Why are we even discussing this? Mandalore is neutral and has no right to ask for our aid."

"Mandalore has every right," The senator of Alderaan responds, bringing his pod forward. "Mandalore is an important planet in our galaxy and deserves our help. We cannot blame Duchess Satine for wanting to keep her people out of violence, she is only thinking of their best interests."

"She is naive," Seantor Ronin of Christophsis says sourly, her tone making me grow angry. "It's a child's dream to think she can keep Mandalore out of the war."

"Wanting to protect her people is not childish," I respond curtly, pressing the button to bring our pod up, closer to the Chancellor. "She tried her best to keep her people safe and that's about as well as any leader can do."

"Says the queen who left her people when the separatists began to invade." She fires back.

I ball my fists at my sides, trying to keep my voice leveled as I remind her; "I was ordered to stay away from Taris by the Chancellor himself, so you will be mindful of what you say before you know all the facts of a situation."

"But that's exactly it," The senator of Ryloth says, his deep voice circling the room as he says; "We do not know what this conflict on Mandalore is. It could be a separatist plot, or it could be an internal matter. The Duchess has had to face many threats and adversaries in the past due to people not agreeing with her pacifism."

"But during all of those threats she never asked for aid. I know Satine, she would not ask for republic aid if she thought this was some civil matter. Satine cares about the safety of her people more than anything, she would not have asked for help if she did not think something was truly amiss."

"I agree," the senator from Lothal says, nodding his head up to me. "Though Mandalore is neutral, we have a duty to aid them in their time of need. If we ignore those in danger, especially when they plead for our help, then we are no better than the separatists."