LV. A Perfect Jedi

Chapter Fifty-Five
Obi Wan

Everyone has been silent on the ship. Commander Dawn is flying us back to Coruscant, with the other clones crammed in the back of the ship with us. Satine and Ashoka's bodies are in the very back of the ship, covered by thick blankets. We couldn't bare to leave them there on Mandalore.

Anakin hasn't spoken since it happened. He has sat across from me, his hand firmly in Fallon's, his face a stone wall. I can feel his pain, his heartbreak, his anger. It's boiling inside him, threatening to explode any moment. The only thing keeping him from losing control is Fallon. It's like her touch is keeping him grounded in the light.

Aiden was sitting next to her, but he has now moved over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder, trying to be comforting. I glance at him and place my hand over his, giving him a small smile. I appreciate his attempt, but it's futile. I just watched Satine die, I just watched Ashoka die. Nothing can change that, no matter how much we all wish it.

Once we make it into the atmosphere of Coruscant, I look out the window and see that it's night here. The dazzling lights of the city shine like I always have, life goes on here as it does everyday. It's strange returning to such normalcy after what's happened on Mandalore.

Commander Dawn doesn't bring us to the temple or to the senate building like I expected he would, instead he brings us to Padmé's apartment, parking right on the landing pad outside the building. He gets out of the pilot seat and directs his attention to me, saying solemnly; "Queen Daulton and Senator Amidala will want to see you, all of you. We will wait here and depart for the Jedi temple whenever you are ready, General."

I nod to him, getting up out of my seat and exiting the ship, the other following behind me. I wait impatiently as we pile into the elevator and soar up through the levels of the apartment building, needing to see my wife more than ever before. I almost let out an audible sigh when the elevator doors slide open, revealing Genevieve and Padmé already waiting for us. Dawn must have contacted her on the ship.

By the looks on their faces, they already know what's happened on Mandalore. Both women's eyes are red rimmed, their expressions as heartbroken as ours. Genevieve doesn't wait another second before launching herself into my arms, and neither do I. I wrap my arms around her tightly and hold onto her, feeling her run her hand soothingly through my hair, her other arm wrapped tightly around my shoulders.

Aiden runs over to his wife and picks her up off the ground, hugging onto her just as tightly, and her onto him. Genevieve lets go of me after a moment, making her way over to Anakin and wrapping her arms around his waist, pulling him in for a hug. Anakin returns the embrace, holding onto Genevieve tightly. She lets go of him with one hand and reaches out for Fallon, holding onto her hand.

For a while we all just stay in this apartment, taking comfort in one another and mourning the ones we have lost. People die in war, it's what we all signed up for, but being prepared for it doesn't make it any less hard. Or any easier to bear.

-

Two days later...

Anakin

"How is your injury, my friend?" The Chancellor asks, concern written over his features, his voice delicate and tender.

I shake my head, touching the bandages around my shoulder absentmindedly, my voice low as I reply: "It's not my injury that's bothering me...she was a sister to me. She was my padawan, I was supposed to take care of her and now..."