LXVIII. The Dark Truth

Chapter Sixty-Eight
Aiden

The senate has never been more restless, more anxious. Nobody knows what's going on, everyone is shouting and screaming at one another, demanding to know what has transpired today.

Padmé and I are silent as we watch the chaos ensue. I insisted on having her stay in my pod instead of hers, I don't want her to be alone right now. She's sitting down, her shoulders slouched, her face fallen and darkened. It breaks my heart seeing her like this. Genevieve was my queen and my friend, and I loved her very much, but not as much as Padmé did. They had been best friends since they were kids. I may have lost my friend today, but Padmé lost her sister. And I wish there was something I could do to comfort her, but I know I can't. We just have to bear it one day at a time.

The Chancellor makes his appearance in the senate, his body cloaked, his face hidden from the light. But even with his attempt, I can still see the deformity he is trying so hard to hide. His skin looks melted, his eyes glowing yellow, like how General Grevious's eyes used to be. I remember Obi Wan said that he suspects Palpatine is the dark lord of the Sith that the Jedi have heard about for so long. I think he might be right.

Even his voice sounds different, guttural and scratchy as he announces to the senators of the republic; "The Jedi have made an attempt on my life, trying to take over the senate and rule the galaxy in my place. But their feeble plot has been foiled," He tells us, his voice turning triumphant. "The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated!"

This makes the senators applaud, cheering for the destruction of the democracy that we had fought so hard to keep intact. These senators had defended the Jedi, worked alongside them, believed in them. But with one account of an event, the senators all turn on the Jedi. It makes me sick. I refuse to clap, so does Padmé.

Now Palpatine's voice grows darker, his facial expression filled with deception and lies, playing the victim as he confesses; "The attempt on my life has left me deformed, scarred physically and emotionally. But I assure you my resolve has never been stronger! In order to ensure the stability and peace throughout the galaxy, the republic will be reformed to become the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society!"

Palpatine smiles at the senators around the room, raising his hands as if he's soaking in the blind loyalty they are giving him. The senators cheer even louder, welcoming the formation of a tyrannical reign that will bring only destruction, not peace.

I shake my head, sitting down next to my wife, finding her looking as angry as I do. "So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."

I slip my hand into hers, brushing my thumb over her fingers. "What will Obi Wan and Anakin do? Where will they go? What kind of life will they live now?"

Padmé shakes her head, her voice barely above a whisper as she adds on; "And Jayce. He's the rightful king, but with Genevieve gone, Palpatine will put someone else on the throne, someone he can control."

I look back up at the senators, growing angrier as their applause persists. "Part of me is glad Genevieve is gone, because it would have killed her to see the republic become this."

Padmé leans her head against my shoulder, squeezing my hand. "So am I," She murmurs, moving her gaze over to Palpatine, who is still soaking up all the praise. "If he really is a Sith Lord, then all the effort we put in to saving Taris will be undone. I can't imagine he will leave Taris's resources untouched. I'm glad she doesn't have to see her planet fall apart, but I'm devastated that you do."

I kiss the top of her head, trying not to think about what Palpatine might do to Taris. If he's the Sith Lord, that means he's been behind the whole war, it means he was pulling the strings and wanted Count Dooku to attack us, to force us into his clutches. These past few years will be undone, just as Padmé said. But I have to hope that Taris will survive whatever Palpatine or the new Galactic Empire has to throw at it. I have to.