VI. The Taris Rebellion

Chapter Six
Anakin

Taris is more beautiful than I could have imagined. From space, Taris looks like a swirl of blue and deep green, like an artist used a brush to paint the surface of the planet. As Fallon brings us into the atmosphere, I see that so much of the planet is covered in forests; tall dark wood trees with large deep green leaves. Long winding rivers run through the forests, their crystal blue water sparkling from the shining sun above us. I see a large city coming up ahead, with the large buildings all having dome shaped roofs, with dark grey paneling surrounding blue tinted windows. Ships are flying all round, looking identical to the one we are flying in now; dark green paint with grey accents, with a pointed face and blue tinted glass covering the cockpit.

We pass by most of the buildings, heading straight towards the palace. I know the rebels have now taken the palace for themselves, using it as their base in the capital. As we approach it I can see why. It's a magnificent structure; built with the same grey paneling and blue glass, but built in a pointed formation, like daggers pointing to the sky. The palace is in the middle of the capital, with civilian markets and homes not too far from the steps leading up the palace. There isn't any wall or gate separating the two. I've never seen that before.

Fallon catches me starring, but her face doesn't show any hostility. In fact she almost looks appreciative that I'm showing such a curious interest and awe of her planet. "The buildings in the capital are dome shaped to represent a shield while the palace is built like a sword. It's supposed to signify strength and protection to the people of Taris."

I can't think of anything snarky or sarcastic to say, so I just say what's on my mind; "Taris is breathtaking."

Fallon for once, doesn't argue with me. "It's the most beautiful planet in the galaxy. With even more beautiful people."

People who rebel against and murder their monarch. But I bite my tongue. "So you and your rebels are staying in the palace? Are we just going to waltz through the front door?"

Fallon brings the ship down towards the palace, near a long stretch of concrete where ships identical to ours are lined up in rows. "Yes we are. Do you remember the story we'll tell them?"

"Yes. Do you remember that if you betray me you'll spend the rest of your life in jail?"

She narrows her eyebrows. "You know when you try to come off as authoritative you just come off as annoying."

"And the pot calls the kettle black."

Fallon's nostrils flare, and despite the flare of rage I feel from her in the force, she pushes it away, pulling the door to the ship open and jumping down onto the concrete. I follow after her, waiting a moment to allow R2 to eject himself from the ship. R2 looks at the several stares leading up the front door and lets out a small whine. He activates his jets and flies to the front door, waiting rather impatiently for us to catch up to him.

"Settle down, scrap heap," Fallon says. "Not all of us can fly."

R2 doesn't take this insult well, but Fallon ignores the many insults that get thrown her way as she knocks three times above the doorknob, then three times below it. I'm guessing this is a code of some kind, because after hearing several clicks of locks I watch the doors swing open. The two rebels guarding the door look at me in alarm, raising their blasters to point at my face. I hold my hands up in surrender, glancing down at Fallon to see what her response will be.

"Relax. This is my cousin. He helped me sneak into the building the Queen was staying at. He's come back home to help with the cause."

The two rebels glance at each other for a moment, contemplation etched in their features. They step aside though, with the one on the right saying to Fallon; "Aiden will want to see you."

She nods. "We'll go to him right away. Where is he?"

"The council room."

The two rebels send questioning glares my way as we pass by them, making our way into the palace. It's even more beautiful on the inside. The floors are made of a black stone, so shiny I can see my reflection in it as I walk across it. The walls are painted the same grey as the outside, looking blue though due to the windows, which are pointed in a dagger formation towards the sky just as the palace itself is. Lining the walls are paintings of past monarchs, getting more and more recent leading towards two large dark wood doors. I can only guess that's the throne room. However we make another turn down the opposite hallway towards another set of dark wooden doors. Fallon places her hands on the knobs, swinging the doors open to reveal three people huddled over a projection on a long wooden table.

The projection is of the capital, I recognize it because of the palace in the center of the projection. At the sound of the door opening, the three of them turn the projection off, turning their attention to my feisty rebel companion.

Fallon nods to the three of them, placing her hand over her heart, saying firmly; "We are one."

The three other rebels do the same, repeating what I know to be the saying of Taris. The man to approach Fallon and grip her shoulders tightly looks about our age. He has very handsome features; brown skin, his shoulder length black hair pulled up, with a few strands falling in front of his brown eyes. In his eyes I see no hostility, only pure concern. His voice shows this as well as he asks; "Are you alright?"

Fallon nods. "I wasn't able to retrieve the queen. She's under the protection of the Jedi. They've taken her away to an undisclosed planet for her safety."

The man lets out a sigh, clearly frustrated but not towards her. He takes a step back, sharing a look with the other two rebels, who look just as frustrated. "We should have guessed the Jedi would get involved. You know what this means. Fett will be sent to retrieve her."

Fallon looks angry, shaking her head as she practically spits out; "Fett went behind our backs and murdered King Willard, how can we trust him to bring Queen Genevieve back alive?"

The man shares this resentment and distrust, but he gives Fallon a defeated look as he says; "Our supplier insists on using Fett. We were able to convince him to allow you to try and bring her back peacefully, but now I think the situation is out of our hands."

"Do you think he'll kill her?"

The man shakes his head, looking almost completely confident as he assures her; "She's the last Daulton. We can't do anything without her. Lets just hope he brings her back to us in one piece."

I can sense this response bothers Fallon deeply, but she pushes her feelings aside, forcing an indifferent expression as she turns to me. "Aiden, this is my cousin Anakin. He helped me sneak into the building the Queen was staying in. He's been a guard for Senator Amidala for many years, so I was lucky the queen was staying with her. He decided to come and join the fight."

Aiden smiles my way, extending his hand out towards me. "Welcome to the rebellion. I'm Aiden Parr, the leader of this operation."

I force a smile, shaking his hand quickly before letting go. "I'm glad to be of any help I can. I haven't been back home in a while, I'm sad to see it has fallen into such a conflict."

Aiden seems to share this sadness. "As are we all. The sooner Queen Genevieve returns home the sooner this rebellion will be over. The sooner we will be free from the tyranny of the republic."

I nod firmly to him, sharing a side glance with Fallon before telling the rebel leader; "That's all I want; the freedom of Taris."

Aiden smiles in agreement, gripping Fallon's shoulders again. "Go get something rest. I need you alert and strong, things are about to become much harder with Fett involved."

Fallon nods to her leader, grabbing my arm to lead me towards the doors. "Will Fett be sent to get her today?"

Aiden nods, lingering frustration in his eyes. "I'll alert our supplier now. I'll keep you updated."

The supplier. Aiden is keeping the identity of their supplier hidden from his rebels. Why? Is he doing it on purpose or has the supplier specifically asked to keep anonymous. One thing is for certain; I'm gonna find out.