XII. Tensions Rising

Chapter Twelve
Obi Wan

"My family would be happy to have you, Genevieve," Padme says assuringly, looking between her friend and me. "I promise to keep this information to myself. I think Obi Wan is right that there may be spies in the senate. With tensions running this high we need to take all precautions we can."

I couldn't agree more. Genevieve is sitting on top of her bed, the hologram of her friend resting comfortably in her palm. I'm leaning against the wall, watching the queen as her frame tenses up. The thought of someone in the republic betraying her must not sit well with her. I can feel her anxiety and pain like a white hot dagger, piercing it's way into my gut. Genevieve feels things so deeply, she feels things with every fiber in her. I see her constantly trying to keep those feelings at bay, and to her dismay, this hardly ever works.

My own holonet begins to make noise. I fish it out of the pocket of my robes, clicking it on to find Anakin and Fallon projected from my palm. "Master, we have discovered something."

I look over to Genevieve, finding her and Padme both looking at us in confusion. I walk over towards the bed, sitting next to Genevieve so our holograms are right next to each other. Padmé might as well hear what Anakin is about to tell us.

"What is it?" I ask him.

"Your majesty, you were right about there being an outside supplier. Count Dooku has been shipping food, clothes, and weapons to Taris for the rebels to use. The man who killed your father is named Jango Fett. We were right that he works directly for Dooku."

Padmé pinches the bridge of her nose, looking immensely distressed. "So a separatist is behind the assassination of a republic king. This will send the senate into chaos. Do we know why he ordered King Willard's execution?"

Anakin shakes his head. "No. I'm sure we will find that out soon."

"We are on our way to Bretta and Cardellia; our trade ports. We want to investigate why they are claiming our supplies are still being shipped out and yet never arrive. We are hoping that will shed light on the situation." Fallon tells us.

I look between the two of them, making my doubts known. "I don't like you both leaving Taris. Shouldn't one of you stay behind to keep watch of things?"

Fallon and Anakin share a look, with Anakin informing me hesitantly; "We have someone watching over Taris while we're gone. His name is Aiden Parr. He's the leader of the Taris rebellion."

I raise my eyebrows at my young padawan. "You brought the leader of the rebellion into our investigation? Does he know of the queen's location?"

He shakes his head. "No we didn't tell him where you are. I brought him into the investigation because he's the only one of the rebels who speaks to Dooku directly. He's a good man. He cares about the people as much as you do, your majesty."

I look over to Genevieve, watching with surprise as she nods her head. "If you two trust him then so do I. Will you inform us of anything you find at our trade ports?"

They both nod, with Fallon offering a genuine smile to her queen. "We will discover what's going on, my queen."

Genevieve nods, her royal mask cracking a fraction as she asks; "How is Taris? Are the people doing better with the supplies?"

Fallon nods. "Our people are doing better, but the supplies that we are getting aren't enough for the whole planet. It just isn't enough."

Genevieve stares at Fallon, her lips pressed into a thin line. I look down and see she is clutching her hands into fists, trying to hold back the pain I feel flowing through her. "Give Aiden the frequency to my holonet. I want to be updated on how my people are suffering."

"I don't think that's—"

She turns her head to look at me, the intensity of her gaze cutting me off. With her head turned from the others, she allows for the sorrow in her eyes to shine through. Her voice is constrained as she says; "Aiden is apart of this now, I want him to feel like he is trusted. After all, he has Taris's best interests in mind. Just as we all do."

I don't argue with her. I bite my tongue and simply nod, turning my head to look back at Anakin. "Keep us updated."

"We will."

Fallon places her hand over her heart, bowing her head to Genevieve. "We are one, my queen."

Genevieve smiles, mimicking her subject. "We are one, Fallon. Please be careful, both of you."

Anakin winks at the queen. "Always."

As their transmission ends, we both look to Padme, finding the Naboo senator deep in thought. She has her arms crossed and her eyebrows creased. I can feel her stress from here.

"Is there any way you can keep all of this to yourself?" I ask her hopefully.

Padmé shakes her head. "Keeping your location secret is one thing, but keeping a separatist ordered assassination is another. I am sorry, but I must inform the chancellor."

"Do you think this will force the republic's hand?" Genevieve asks.

Padmé shrugs, looking helplessly between the two of us. "All we can do is hope for the best."

Genevieve nods, forcing a mostly convincing smile to her friend. "Then that's what we will do. We will leave for Naboo immediately."

Padmé bows her head to us. "I will keep you updated. Good luck."

Once Padmé's transmission ends, Genevieve brings her hands up to rub at her face. Her sorrow and worry for her people is reaching a new depth, it's not surprise when she pulls her hands away and tears are silently streaming down her face.

She notices me starring at her and immediately turns her head, wiping away her tears frantically. "Forgive me. I promise I will be presentable in a few moments."

I shake my head, hesitating before I place my hand over hers. This makes her direct her attention back to me, another tear silently escaping her lashes. "You should never apologize for caring about your people. It's a trait all leaders should possess."

She shakes her head, anger rolling over her face, as well as the force around her. "A queen shouldn't cry like this. A queen shouldn't be so helpless when it comes to her people. A queen shouldn't be weak like I am."

I try to convey the truth in this statement as clear as I can; wiping a straggling tear from her face, saying firmly; "You are the farthest thing from weak, Genevieve. We are taught that compassion is the true strength of a Jedi. You have more compassion in your heart than most Jedi I have met do."

A shy smile spreads across her lips. I find myself feeling rather strange at the sight, feeling the need to look away from her. I force my hand off of hers as well, though I still feel the warmth of her touch even as I place my hand back on my lap.

"Are you ready to depart, Genevieve?" I ask her, trying to distract myself from the heat I feel creeping onto my face.

She nods, wiping at her eyes again. "Yes, of course. Will you give me a moment to compose myself before we say goodbye to Satine?"

I nod, letting out a small sigh of relief as I stand up, walking away from the bed and towards her bags. I make my way towards the door, my mind in deep thought the entire way to our ship.