XV. The Light In You

Chapter Fifteen
Obi Wan

The Amidala house is smaller than I imagined. After all, Padmé was a queen for several years, I thought the house would be more extravagant. It's made of tan stone, with flowers lining the steps leading up to the door. It's two floors, with a blue painted dome roof and matching blue door. As we knock on the door, I see Genevieve visibly relax. She knows this family very well, and I think being surrounded by people she trusts is good for her right now.

The door opens to reveal a middle aged woman. She has deep brown hair with streaks of grey, a wisdom filled expression, and a smile just as beautiful as her daughter's. As soon as she sees Genevieve she wraps her arms around her, embracing her tightly. The smile that spreads across Genevieve's face is intoxicating to look at. So much so I have to look away. I decide to go grab our bags as Genevieve greats the family, and once I return to the door, the queen has already been ushered inside.

I walk in, shutting the door behind me. The inside of the house is wide and open. The floor is made of a red sort of stone, with the tan stone walls painted a sky blue. There aren't any windows in the entry way, but I see a few in the living room to my left. There's a large window that takes up most of the north wall, with a fireplace in the middle of the south wall. Red couches are in the middle of the living room at match the red floors, with wooden bookshelves covering every inch of the remaining wall space. It's no wonder Padmé is such an intelligent person, she comes from a family of readers. Genevieve is sitting on one of the couches now, with Padmé's mother and another young woman.

I come into the room, seeing Genevieve's eyes glance up to me. She stands, gesturing down to her companions. "Obi Wan this is Padmé's mother Ruwee and her sister Sola. This is my Jedi protector; Obi Wan Kenobi."

I smile at both women, bowing my head to them. I now seeing extreme resemblance to Padmé in her sister. Sola looks a bit younger than Padmé, but not by much. She has the some curly brown hair and brown eyes Padme has. She has the same intelligent air to her and fierceness in her demeanor. This is certainly a family filled with strong women.

"I am grateful you have allowed us to stay in your home. I assure you we will try not to be too much of an inconvenience."

Ruwee shakes her head, wrapping an arm around Genevieve's shoulder. "You could never be an inconvenience. Genevieve is like family. Our house is your house," She says, looking between the two of us. "You two must be tired after your journey. Sola will show you to your rooms."

Sola grabs onto Genevieve's hand and leads her out of the living room. I follow after them, grabbing onto the bags in the entrance as we pass by them. Past the living room and to the right of the entrance looks like the entrance to the dining room. We pass right by that and down a short hallway. Once we reach the end of the hall we are met with a staircase leading upstairs. The same blue paint adorns the walls upstairs, except for the walls inside the individual rooms. The one that Sola leads Genevieve into is painted yellow, with holographic photos attached to the walls. Each of the pictures have Padmé in them, so I'm assuming Genevieve is staying in Padmé's room. The room I'm led to is very simple; the walls are tan like the stone, the bed is against a small window on the east wall. A desk is across from it along with a dresser.

"Dinner should be ready in about an hour." Sola informs me, before exiting the room and making her way back downstairs.

I leave my small bag on top of my bed and make my way towards Genevieve's room, finding her staring at one of the holographs on the wall. She doesn't turn around to address me as she says;

"It's so strange how time works. Sometimes a moment in your life feels like it happened yesterday, then others feel like they happened in a whole other life time."

I approach her closer, examining the holograph she is looking at. It shows two small girls, maybe ten years old, laughing and smiling at each other. They seem to be playing dress up; wearing fancy clothes far too big for them and hand made crowns on top of both their heads. These girls are obviously younger versions of Genevieve and Padmé.

"This was a little bit after my mother died. I wanted to get out of the palace, so I spent some time here with Padmé. Padmé has this way of making anybody feel better. That had been the first time I had laughed in weeks."

I feel the strongest urge to touch her shoulders and try to comfort her, but I know that isn't a wise move. So instead I say; "I'm sorry she can't be here. I know having Padmé here would make things easier for you."

She nods, letting out a sigh. "It feels so odd being back here; like the last time I was here I was a child, and now I'm all grown up."

I nod, memories flooding into my mind. "I know just what you mean. When I returned to Coruscant after my master died, I felt a similar way. It was like the moment he died I stopped being a child. Anakin become my apprentice very soon after and I became a Jedi Knight. It was overwhelming."

She lets out a short laugh, turning around to face me. "Overwhelming is an understatement."

I am very aware how close we are, but I try my best to ignore it. "I knew Padme while she was queen. I was here when Naboo was under attack. She was scared, angry, and just as overwhelmed as you are. But she had help. And so do you."

"Padmé had her advisors, her family, her friends, and all of her subjects to support her. My father's advisors have never liked me and won't want to serve me, my parents are gone, Padmé and her family are the only friends I have, and my planet is in a rebellion right now. If war does happen, if Dooku tries to take over Taris...I don't know if I can handle it the way Padmé did."

"Well of course you won't, because you're not Padmé. You'll handle it your own way. Dooku is a power hungry man who doesn't understand loyalty or compassion. He is no match for your strength and heart."

Genevieve smiles up at me, a softness in her eyes that makes my breaths come out shallower. "You have not known me very long, Obi Wan, and yet you seem very sure about my strength of character."

"The Jedi are taught that the force is used for knowledge and defense. We are taught that the force holds the truth, and that it will guide us if we listen to what it has to say. I sense your light, Genevieve, and the separatists are no match to it."

I can see heat form on her cheeks, and she tries to hide it by pushing some of her hair around her face. She glances to her right at one of the other holographs, a smile creeping onto her lips.

"Do you want to hear about the time Padmé and I almost caught her summer home on fire?" She asks, gesturing to a holograph of the two of them as teenagers running in a field in front of a beautiful lakeside house.

I nod, smiling back at her. "I'd love to."