XXXIII. Invasion

Chapter Thirty-Three
Genevieve

I watch as the citizens of the capital wait in a single file line towards the transport ships. All the other major cities have been evacuated, all of the citizens currently traveling to Naboo. Queen Jamilla's provided ships and guards have certainly been helpful in the execution of this plan. I really owe her.

Assisting us escort the citizens to safety are not only my own guards and soldiers, but the 411th unit, a group of clones who have been assigned to help me and keep me safe. The leader of these clones is Commander Dawn, who was given his name because he would arise at the break of dawn every morning as a trainee. He is a very respectful, dedicated, loyal man just as the rest of the clones are. The only thing that gives me pause is their faces. They bear the faces of my father's killer; Jango Fett. Obi Wan found out that Jango Fett was the man the Kaminoans cloned to make the republic army. No one knows who hired him, but Obi Wan suspects it was Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas.

I don't know if I believe that. Why would a Jedi hire a bounty hunter to be the genetic code of the clone army?

Clones have now completely filled the capital, being ordered to different positions and buildings by Obi Wan, who stands several feet away from me, talking to his clone commander; Cody. Obi Wan sneaks a glance my way, but I quickly look away, trying to focus on the task at hand. I can't afford to get distracted right now and I know he can't either. I approach Commander Dawn, who was just showing the way to the next available transport to a small family of three.

"Are these the last of the citizens?"

"There are some houses towards the edge of the capital that haven't been evacuated yet, but I just sent men there."

"Do we have enough transports for the remaining citizens?"

He nods. "Yes, your majesty. The rest of the citizens will fit in three transports and the final two will be used to transport you and the 411th."

I smile at him, trying to convey to him my true gratitude. "I can't thank you enough for your help, as well as your men's help. I am very glad you will be accompanying us to Naboo, it will make my people feel much safer."

I don't think anyone has shown him such sentiments, this is shown in the awe filled expression on his face. He smiles at me though, bowing his head to me. "Of course, your majesty. We're just doing our duty."

I glance back at Obi Wan, catching his gaze. He had already been staring at me. Feeling a blush form on my cheeks, I nod my head to Commander Dawn, making my way over towards Obi Wan. Commander Cody excuses himself and walks towards his men, leaving Obi Wan and I alone.

"The last of the citizens are being brought to the transports, we will be leaving shortly," I tell him, looking around at the city surrounding me, at the beautiful buildings and houses that will soon be blown to bits from battle droids. "I hate having to leave here. Part of me feels like if I stay, then maybe I can hold everything together; I can keep the cities from being destroyed, keep my people from being killed. I know it's foolish."

Obi Wan shakes his head, a warm smile forming on his face. "Its not foolish to want to protect your planet. I will do everything in my power to keep Taris intact, you have my word."

I reach forward and grab onto his hand, focusing on his face. I try to take in every detail of him, commit his image to memory. My heart worries for my planet and my people, but I am just as much worried about him. Obi Wan squeezes my hand, his voice soft and low as he says; "Goodbye for now, my queen."