XXVII. A War Has Begun

Chapter Twenty-Seven
Obi Wan

"Count Dooku," Master Yoda says gravely. "Rally more planets to his cause, he will."

Master Windu nods, his eyes focused on the bustling city of Coruscant around us. Pretty soon these skies will be filled with ships that will be sent off to planets across the galaxy, transporting clones and Jedi to fight in this war. Despite the council's optimism about ending the war quickly, I don't see an end to this war anytime soon.

"Dooku's first target will be Taris, he won't give up on it easily," Windu says, his eyes going from the city to Anakin and I. "That planet and the system it resides over is too important for the republic to loose. Obi Wan, you are still tasked with keeping the queen safe. But along with that, you will lead the fight against the invasion coming to Taris. You are now officially a general in the republic army."

I bow my head to him. "Thank you, my masters."

"Anakin," Master Yoda says, a small smile on his face. "Done well, you have. The rank of Jedi Knight, the council grants you. Lead the fight on Taris, with Obi Wan you will. The title of general, you now have."

I turn my head to the side to see Anakin's face light up. He has wanted this for a really long time. I can see how happy he is, how excited he is. I couldn't be more proud of him, and I try to convey that in the smile I give him.

"Before you both leave for Taris with the queen," Master Windu says, pulling out his communicator and telling the guards outside to open the doors. "We have something else to tell you."

The doors of the council chambers open to reveal a small Togruta girl. She looks no less than twelve or so, too old to be a youngling. She has an energy to her and an excitement that reminds me of Anakin when he was younger. I smile down at the young girl, while Anakin just stares at her in confusion.

"Anakin, this is your new padawan."

Anakin's eyes widen. "Padawan? You're giving me a padawan?"

Windu nods. "There aren't nearly enough Jedi that we need for this war. Most Jedi are being given padawans to train. This is Ashoka Tano, she will go with you to defend Taris."

Anakin looks down at little Ashoka, looking no less unsettled. I don't share this feeling, so I nod to the young girl. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Obi Wan Kenobi, this is Anakin Skywalker."

Ashoka smiles up at both of us. "The pleasure is mine. I'm ready to be of assistance to you, Master Skywalker."

Anakin nods down to the girl, trying his best to hide how he really feels, but I know him too well. I can see he is afraid of this new task. But he has no reason to be. I have faith in him. I know he will rise to the task and be a wise and fair master to Ashoka. In time he will have faith in himself too.

-

Anakin

"It sounds like you had quite the adventure while helping the queen," Chancellor Palpatine says. "I am terribly sorry about your mother, Anakin."

I nod my head slowly, leaning back in my chair. "She was so weak, so frail. I-I don't even want to think about what those monsters did to her."

"You were right to kill them Anakin. The galaxy is better with them gone. But look on the bright side, you have finally been given the rank of Jedi Knight."

I smile slightly, my sorrow from discussing my mother still remaining. "Yes, along with a padawan. I don't know the first thing about teaching. I don't know how I will do this."

"Have faith in yourself, Anakin. Everything will work out for you in the end, I'm sure of it."

I look at my friend, letting out a disbelieving laugh. "What makes you figure that?"

"You are the most powerful Jedi I know, even more powerful than Master Yoda. You will do great things, no matter what the council might say."

I smile at him, sitting myself up a bit more. "I will be on Taris for quite some time. I will miss our conversations."

Palpatine smiles at me, something stirring in his eyes that I can't comprehend. "I will always be here if you need me, Anakin."

"And you will always have my loyalty, Chancellor."

If it's at all possible, Palpatine's smile grows. "I know I do, young Anakin. I know I do."