Chapter 15

I don't say anything the entire cab ride back to the marina. Harry holds my hand and rubs slow circles on the outside, but it doesn't do much to calm my nerves. All I can think about is getting back to the safety and comfort of my boat. Harry grabs our grocery bags from the back of the cab and pays the driver and we make our way down the ramp to the boats. I'm walking slightly ahead of Harry, trying to push down all the anxious feelings I have about the last hour. Is that what it's like all the time for him? If we're together will it be like that for me? Will I ever get used to it or will I always react like I did? Is that a life I want?

We're halfway down the dock and I hear the sound again; a high-pitched squeal. This time some women closer to my age have spotted him and are now running down the dock after him. I feel my stomach immediately in my throat as they approach.

"Go to the boat. I'll meet you there," he encourages.

I listen and clumsily grab the bags from him with one hand and continue walking to the boat

I listen and clumsily grab the bags from him with one hand and continue walking to the boat. I hear their excitement and glee at meeting Harry, and I can't help feeling overwhelmed by it all.

I don't even put the groceries away when I get below on the boat and instead just crawl into my bed and pull the covers up. This is where he finds me.

"Maggie?" he calls to me from the galley. "There you are. Are you alright?"

I shake my head no. Then I can feel tears spring to my eyes, and I don't even know where they are coming from.

"Oh baby. Come here," and he pulls me into his arms, cradling me. He softly brushes my hair back as tears roll down my cheeks. When I've managed to slow my breathing and stop my tears, I finally say something.

"Ever since the accident I'm really sensitive to noise and crowds. I blackout when it becomes too much." I reveal to him. "Scenarios like that one today, where I can't anticipate it happening are extra hard for me."

He doesn't say anything so I go on, "I don't know if I can be in your life if this is a daily occurrence."

"Maggie, I'm telling you, it's not always like this. In London, people generally let me go about my day and L.A. too. And when I know that it's going to be a bit more hectic, then I bring bodyguards."

I nod my head but don't speak.

"Can we please just get out of here?" I ask him.

"Of course," he says.

Harry unties us from the dock and pushes us off while I steer. When we get to the open water I turn south instead of north. Harry notices immediately.

"How come you're going this way?"

I don't answer him.

"Maggie? Why are you headed towards home?"

"I think with my arm, it might be time to head back. It'll be too hard to operate the boat on my own."

He looks at me for a long time, his eyes boring into my soul trying to figure me out. Just as quickly as he tore my walls down, I've put them back up again. Then he does something I never would have predicted. He scoffs at me. Loudly. And then starts shaking his head.