Chapter 28

It's not long after lunch that we arrive at Harry's mom's house. She is waiting with the door open as we walk up and she greets Harry first.

"My baby!" and pulls him into a big hug, kissing his cheek. Harry smirks at me over his mom's shoulder, just eating up the affection for her youngest born.

"Hi Mummy," he plays it up as I shake my head at him.

They pull away from each other.

"Mum, this is Maggie. Maggie, this is my mom, Anne."

"Hello sweetheart! It's so nice to meet you. Harry has told me so much about you."

She pulls me into a hug and gives me an extra squeeze.

"Nice to meet you too!" I say smiling warmly at her.

"Come inside you two! Can I make you a tea? Or a coffee if you prefer?"

"Tea would be great."

"Make it two, mum."

His mom turns the kettle on in the kitchen and gets out mugs.

"How was the drive?"

"It was good. Traffic wasn't too bad."

"Is this your first time in London, Maggie?"

"No, my mom is from here actually. I used to come and visit my grandparents here."

"Really? Where abouts?"

"She grew up in Reading, but by the time I started visiting my grandparents they lived in Primrose Hill."

"Well that's a bit of a change, isn't it? What do your parents do for work?"

"They owned a company called the Wilson Group," I vaguely answer.

"They don't own it anymore?"

"Uhm..." I start to answer, and Harry interrupts me.

"Mum, Maggie's parents passed away earlier this year."

"Oh darling, I'm sorry! I had no idea!" She reaches across the kitchen table and takes my hand in hers.

"It's alright. You didn't know," and I squeeze her hand back, reassuring her that no harm is done.

"And what do you do for work, Maggie?"

"Well up until June I was working as a music teacher, but I quit."

"You quit? Why?"

"I was doing singing and song writing part time and I decided to pursue it full time but then..." I hesitate, trying to find the right words. "My parents died suddenly in a car accident and I'm now responsible for their company."

"Was it a big company?"

Harry chuckles next to me.

"Fairly big," I answer, self-consciously.

"It's one of the top five largest companies in Canada, mum. She is being modest. She makes me look poor," he says confidently. How did he know that it was the top five?

"Well I wouldn't exactly put it that way," I say bashfully, wrapping my hands around my mug.

"No, you wouldn't. Doesn't make it less true," he says teasing me.

"How did you two meet? Harry says you're from Vancouver."

"She invited me on her sailboat," he answers, grinning at me. I meet his stare and continue talking while looking at him.