Chapter 78~ Aurora

Three days after the war

"Elena, please! You can't be serious..."

It hurt. It hurt to know that the only person she actually loved was the one she was disappointing. Helena loved him, with every breath she took she could feel him there with her all the way. Right beside her.

Helena kept on walking, despite her wound and despite the burnt bodies around her, she fought not to break into tears. Why was this happening to her? Why was she so unlucky? Why was it like this!?

"How swiftly you dismiss our love." He suddenly said, pausing. Helena almost stopped, but decided that if she did she might get caught up and make another stupid move. So she kept on walking.

"I know I've done mistakes, I know I haven't been perfect! I know that when you needed me the most I couldn't be there because I let others make that decision for me. But that is something that I will regret for the rest of my life, for as long as my heart pounds and my living flesh can still bleed, I will regret it. But I've been by your side, Elly! I've been there all along, every step of the way. I never stopped believing in you even when it could risk a thousand lives. But I chose you before anyone else!"

Helena turned around slowly, her attempts of trying to hold back the stupid tears were a complete failure. She knew that every word he said was without any doubt true.

"I can pretend like I don't love you and keep following you into whatever life it is you're choosing.  But there is no pretending. I love you, and I will love you until I die and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then."

"I have to do this..." But Dev was not the one to give up, he walked closer to her and shook his head, refusing to accept it.

"No, you don't. You chose this, Elena." His voice was suddenly so calm, so sweet and seducing.

She could try to pretend like she did not love him, could pretend that she would try to hate him or despise him. But she didn't.

Just to look at him made her shiver, he was beautiful. His sapphire eyes shone in a special way when he looked at her, a certain way that only showed when there was just the two of them. Helena could never dismiss him, not like this. All she really wanted to do was to jump in his arms and stay there until it was safe to look at what this horrid world has become.

Helena looked down as Devrys finally reached her, his arms outstretched. As she looked down she could feel tears spill from her eyes and fall toward Devrys outstretched arm. She knew why she was crying, and yet she did not, but part of it was sorrow for ever doubting him. Dev wasn't just on her side. He was willing to die for her- he was courting death for her.

"I was miserable before I met you. I didn't have a purpose, didn't have a goal in life and I had already loved once. I never thought that I'd be able to love again, but then..." he paused and lifted her chin up, her eyes meeting his. "You saved me. You gave me purpose, you made it easy for me to love you, you gave me a place in your heart. And I would go through all the trouble again and again if I had to."

She could somehow tell everything he said was just pure honesty.

He looked at her with a plea, taking a hold of her hands and pulling them close to his chest.

"I chose you. I will always chose you. But I need to know if you're willing to do the same."

And there it came.

"Don't make me chose..." she whispered as the tears were rushing down her dirty face. "You know that I love you! You know that I do, but..."

"But?" He said, almost hopefully. It was like her body was taking over her actions, cause what she was about to say surprised her too.