~Nine~

~Jade~

Friday morning, Civic Education first period. Aunty Ifeoma was teaching us Political Apathy. It was a topic that I have a serious interest in.

"So, can anyone tell us why people have a serious aversion for politics?"

My right hand was up before anyone else.

"Right, Miss Badmus. You tell us."

"I think it's only unserious people that have political apathy. I think it's this same set of people that'll keep complaining the government is bad, the government is this, the government is that. And they're not even making any change. I think it's pretty sick and stupid."

I watched Miss Ifeoma's s face flush. She was about to say something when someone spoke up

"I don't think that's the issue, Miss Badmus. You can speak against something if you've never been there. I think all these people have a reason why they are politically apathetic. Maybe they got tired. Look at our country. People are fed up. They're tired of trying."

It was Uthman.

"So, instead of looking for water to put out the fire, we should abandon the burning house instead?"

"Sometimes, yes. Some things ain't worth saving."

"Not like politics, not like governance, not like life."

"We'll be alright last Jade. You shouldn't call someone stupid just because they have different opinions from yours."

"That's how it works for me, I don't know how to accept people with sickening opinions."

We were glaring at each other now. Miss Ifeoma cleared her throat.

"Well, that's enough guys. This is not a debate, it's just a conversation."

And she went back to teaching. My mood was ruined again.

*******

Hours after, I was sitting in the cafeteria with Hana and Akin. They were both eating Spag and I was eating meat pie and Chapman. But the truth is, the pie was tasting like sand in my mouth.

"You okay?"

Hana asked from the other side. She and Akin were sitting in front of me. I shook my head

"Hmm hmm."

"You don't look okay."

"You need a boyfriend to curtail all these your feistiness. You're too hot."

That was Akin and I smiled, despite If someone else had said that, I would have gone ballistics but with Akin, well, we all have soft spot for some people.

I smiled.

"Why are you guys so hell-bent on me dating someone?"

"Is someone else asking you to date?" Hana asked.

"Yeah, Zee is always telling me to date. She o date the cute boy from my school every minute she gets an opportunity."

"The cute boy from our school? Is that not Uthman?"

I glanced at Hana, I could have sworn her voice changed a little.

"Yeah, crazy, isn't it?"

"I think you guys will make a pretty much crazy couple."

Akin said and I and Hana laughed.

"They'll argue every minute of their relationship."

"And end each argument with a kiss."