Part 18: Kocho Estate: What it means to be a family

“Shinobu chan no baka!” Mitsuri yelled out towards her best friend. Her hand slightly crumbling the letter. “I can’t believe I’m saying this to the most intelligent girl in the world but you’re a baka! A baka!” She playfully smacked Shinobu on the head, mocking her. Saying that she was silly to express Shinobu’s stupidity for not realising Y/N’s feelings of endearment towards her as stated in his letter.

Shinobu turned her head slightly towards Mitsuri with a dumbfounded expression, two black beaded dots for eyes a finger placed on her chin deep in thought, clueless at Mitsuri’s statement.

"But you are! I can’t say this enough but you’re a Baka! Baka! Baka!" Mitsuri yelled at her. “How did you even get angry at a guy who loves you the way he does! He even killed himself for you!”

Mitsuri understood that there could have been better alternatives, a sense of guilt overtook her wishing as both best friends, the consequences of their fallout is to be repaired. Deep in her heart she missed Y/N terribly.

"Here! Read it in full. You didn't finish it right?" She instructed Shinobu, handing Y/N's letter as she took it into her hands. "Dummy Shinobu chan"

Shinobu took the letter into her hands and opened it. As she continued to open the letter, Shinobu felt her heart pounding, the sound of her own heartbeat echoed in her ears. Anxious and afraid to read what was in that letter again. When Shinobu looked around the garden, images of Y/N and her playing swords around it chasing each other. He made her feel special and happy no matter how dire the situation. When her parents died, he was with her. When Kanae died, Y/N dropped everything to spend his moments with her.

Her eyes laid upon the last sentence of his letter. "I will always think of you. I will always love you with all my being. I will love you, until the last butterfly dies".  His undying love was the only thing that remained of his unconscious form. Shinobu could no longer control her tears, water pooling from her eyes like a fountain, rolling down her cheeks. Her hand covering her mouth in shock. Realising all of Y/N actions was his proof of worth and love to her. Her body slumped into Mitsuri sobbing on her best friend's chest. Angry at herself for not reading the letter in full.

Mitsuri wrapped her arms around her shoulders, hands patting her head as she cried. "Shinobu chan. Cry all you want; my chest is your pillow." She smiled at her, supporting her best friend forever who was in distress.

Shinobu wiped the tears on her sleeve as she calmed herself as Mitsuri placed her hands on her cheeks and Shinobu explained everything. How she got angry at Y/N after reading the letter and threw the ring he gave her into the pond. It was a breakup gone wrong. She hurt Y/N emotionally. Her anger and frustration at her own body acted like a catalyst was fueling her hatred rage since her sister died.

"Shinobu chan, I'm sorry." Mitsuri apologised. "I'm to blame too. Truth is Y/N had been acting strange. He told me a story about a Mother and her son and asking me these weird questions. And I never thought even once to tell you" She hugged her even tighter. Tears rolling from her cheeks. Everyone has bad days. One where Shinobu and Mitsuri felt depressed and despondent. Iguro even crashed into Y/N's room to yell and glare at Y/N how he was hurting Mitsuri. Coping mechanism is a powerful thing. For others it's writing down their thoughts and feelings but for Shinobu and Mitsuri it was to vent out their sorrow and pain talking to each other.

"Shinobu chan. Let's go and find Y/N's ring" Mitsuri smiled dragging Shinobu into the pond as she continued to wipe her tears.
____________________

"I...Mitsuri I can't find Y/N's ring…" Shinobu said, looking like she was about to cry. Tears building up in her eyes again. An hour had already passed by but there's still no sign of the ring. “I know I can’t give up. I’ve lost all hope. Mitsuri chan”