Shinobu X Male Reader (Angst): In her arms

“Kocho sensei” The fellow female  asked as she laid naked on Shinobu’s operating table covered only by a thin sterile gown, fastening straps were placed around her waist to prevent her from falling off during the surgery. “Will I see you after the surgery?” She coughed slightly, choking on her words. Shinobu saw her eyes, it was dull, lacking strength and the will to live, the happy and active patient she knew a year was no longer here. 

“Best of luck for your surgery…” Shinobu smiled, deep within her thoughts she knew the girl was too weak to survive her surgery to remove a tumour in one of her organs but had to try. When she gazed at her patient as an image of Y/N in the same position as her patient his lips and chin stained with blood and his face was pale burning into her mind like a mantra. She couldn’t help but remember Y/N dying in her Estate and if it hadn’t been for luck; Y/N would not have been there happily living as her boyfriend. 

“Now…” She smiled, placing an oxygen mask on his chin and nose, hovering over the patient with her eye guard and surgical mask. “...please count to ten…” 

Her patient slowly counted down from ten as she slowly lost consciousness as the anesthesia took its effects as it circulated through her body as it shut down the pain receptors in her body. Shinobu took a scalpel in her hand as she made the first cut in her abdomen. Aoi was by her side checking the pulse and pressure of the patient, she was watching a screen with lines that looked like it was the pulse and indicated the pressure pumping from the heart. 

However halfway through her surgery Shinbou patient’s blood pressure suddenly dropped until her pulse flatlined since her weak form could not get through the surgery. Shinobu saw what happened and pushed the instruments aside and pumped the girl’s chest in an attempt to save her, but there was no pulse. Shinobu pried open her eyes, her eyes were dull as a cloudy substance covered her pupil, Shinobu noticed she was already too far gone and out of respect she covered her corpse with a white towel and stitched up her operation wound. Shinobu waived the guilt she felt explaining to the girl’s parents that her daughter had just passed, sorrow and guilt overcame them hugging each other for comfort as they left. Shinobu locked herself in her office unwilling to tell anyone about her feelings. 

_______________

Shinobu worked late at night in her office gathering her field medical supplies into the backpack of her’s and Y/N’s crow and when she finished she changed into her robes and slid into bed. She spoke nothing to Y/N and tossed and turned around underneath her bed sheets, clearly something was fogging up her train of thoughts as a hint of unease hung heavy on her. She shuffled around as if she had forgotten that her boyfriend was in bed with her. After his failed attempt at proposing Y/N started to sleep in the same bed with Shinobu often taking up the blankets from his girlfriend.

“Y/N?” Shinobu clutched the back of Y/N’s robe, placing her forehead to his warm back to conceal her tears. “..about the mission tomorrow” She asked her boyfriend to confirm the plan with her once again. 

Y/N rubbed his eyes feeling the futon dip and rise. “Hmmmmmmm” He mumbled before lazily turning towards where Shinobu was, lying closely apart. “Shino chan it will be fine” He reassured her and gave her a light peck of the lips to tell her that their mission would run smoothly under his command. Shen then grabbed a section of the blanket that Y/N took to cover her form. 

Shinobu shut her eyes.

She hated it to watch Y/N give her the silent treatment, especially with everything that had happened within the past two years and his promise to her to not keep secrets from her again. It angered her to see the trust they built come tumbling down.