Shinobu X Male Reader (Fluff): Underneath the fireworks

Shinobu X Male Reader (Fluff): Underneath the fireworks with my little Takoyaki thief

A month had passed after Shinobu partially claimed Y/N and as a result the sweet smell of wisteria hung heavy on his skin. Y/N was wearing his navy blue yukata sitting on a bench waiting for his girlfriend to return with food. There were lanterns hung on each side of the food stalls. The sounds of sizzling food on hot plates, the voices of the food vendors echoed around. Y/N was playing with the sumire flowers on the soil bed and picked the flower from the stem. Mitsuri in a pink flower yukata was beside him waiting for Iguro to buy her sakura mochi cakes.

Shinobu, Y/N, Iguro and Mitsuri were enjoying their time near the Sumida river celebrating the summer festival waiting for fireworks display. A famous spot for couples to watch fireworks together, some even proposed on the spot at the fireworks.

Y/N was fiddling with a flower between his fingers, his eyes deep in focus on the flower petal. He mumbled something as Mitsuri inched closer listening to his mumbles. It was Y/N making his decision to propose to Shinobu based on a flower petal. She leaned in closer and continued to eavesdrop on his conversation.

“I won’t ask Shino chan to marry me” Y/N picked a petal seeking to make a decision to marry Shinobu based on his last phrase when the last petal was pulled, motivated by his attraction to Shinobu. Mitsuri was waiting beside him anxiously.

“I will ask Shino chan to marry me” He picked another petal off the stem as he continued reciting his phrases. He alternated the phrases picking the petals as he went.

“I won’t ask Shino chan”  Y/N mumbled as he picked the last sumire petal from the stem, liquid pooled beneath his eyes like he was on the verge of tears. His body trembled clutching the empty stem of flower in his hand. Mitsuri picked a flower from a different flower bed and ran to his side and wiped the liquid from his eyes. She almost laughed at his stupidity telling fortunes by ripping up pretty flowers.

“How stupid are you? Do you honestly believe reading the future by picking flower petals?" Mitsuri gave him a stern look, like he didn't know how the world operated. "You look like the type of man that would easily get scammed by a blackmail letter saying your girlfriend is being held hostage."

"Listen here…" Mitsuri began giving Y/N a stern lecture. "Shinobu chan is a surgeon and pharmacist because of this people will look down on you. Y/N, you need to try harder for Shinobu chan."

"B-but I really did try.' Y/N pulled out the book Art of War from his sleeve. "I only understood because my mom keeps reading to me at bedtime stories."

"Y/N you need to try harder!" Mitsuri overwhelmed by the thought of making Shinobu and Y/N an official couple accidently let her mouth loose. When she realised that she raised her voice at her best friend. “”Y/N, I’m sorry” she apologised and kissed Y/N on the cheek and brushed his hair with her comb, mother turning their children’s eyes away.

She immediately ran to the flower bed and picked a flower then ran to Y/N’s side.

“You can always try again.” Mitsuri smiled, swinging her legs on the bench they sat on anxiously awaiting for the result.

“I will ask Shino chan to marry me.” Y/N smiled as he picked the last piece of petal from the stem, it was the phrase he wanted to hear. Mitsuri also smiled as hearts were flowing through her head.

Mitsuri sprung into action and blurted out creative ways for Y/N to propose to his girlfriend, giving him a quick makeover pushing his hair back and cleaning his face with her handkerchief to make him look presentable before his proposal.

“Are you ready to propose to Shinobu chan under the fireworks like what we have been practicing.” Mitsuri combed Y/N’s hair with her fingers and then placed a bundle of flowers in his hands. “Ohhh! It will be so romantic!” She blurted out blushing as she imagined Y/N proposing to Shinobu under the fireworks.