Chapter 21: Unfair

On twenty-sixth of December, Dylan's parents came home. They invited me to celebrate new year's eve with them. I couldn't say "no" although I knew that Mom and Dad would freak out if they would ever know about this. Now we were waiting for twelve o'clock to come.

"Did Storm behave?" Tita Thalia asked me while I was helping her out to prepare the food on the table.

I let out a chuckle before I responded, "Yes, Tita."

"Good. I trust you both." She smiled at me.

Dylan and Tito Travis came to the kitchen while announcing "Happy new year!" Tita Thalia and I greeted them back and then we hugged each other. We all ate together while having a joyful conversation. After that, Tita Thalia invited me to sleep in their house so she led me to their guest room.

"Thank you so much, Tita. I really appreciate your invitation and company," sabi ko sa kanya nang nasa tapat na kami ng pintuan.

"You're welcome, hija. It's my pleasure because I've been wanting a daughter," she sweetly said.

I smiled at her and hugged her before I said "good night" and walked into the room.

Kakahiga ko pa lang sa kama nang marinig kong may kumatok sa pintuan. Kaya, tumayo ako at pinagbuksan iyon. I was surprised that it was Dylan.

"Hey," sabi ko sa kanya at tiningnan ko siya nang may pagtatanong.

"Are you going to sleep now?" he asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"I just want to see if you're okay here. I'm sorry if my mom is so demanding."

Napangiti ako. "It's fine. I love your mom."

"I think she loves you so." He smiled a little bit. "I should go now. Buenas noches," paalam niya.

"Buenas noches," sabi ko rin.

"And I love you," pahabol niya.

Napangisi ako. "I know."

Napangiti lang siya at umiling-iling bago naglakad paalis at kumaway sa akin nang hindi ako nililingon. "Happy new year again," huling bati niya.

"Don't you want to hear my 'I love you?' " pahabol ko.

"No need to. I already know it, too," sagot niya bago siya tuluyang nakalayo sa akin.

I just giggled.

***

Back to school again! Here I was in my dormitory, waiting for Dylan. He texted me that he would pick me up here and so that we would go to the university together. I felt so nervous because we would surely surprise the campus.

Lumabas ako ng dorm at sa labas na lang ako ng gusali naghintay. Ilang minuto lamang ay dumating si Storm, dala ang kotse niya. Tinahak namin ang daan patungong university nang nanlalamig ng kaunti ang mga kamay ko dahil sa kaba. He parked the car in the parking lot of the university.

"Do we need to hold each other's hand?" I asked him while we were walking, heading the building of the school. Magkahawak-kamay kasi kami.