Chapter 31: More than Demi

"The number you have dialed is now unattended . . ."

I was running out of patience. I couldn't contact Demi. I even sent her messages, asking her where she was and why I couldn't contact her. I opened my Messenger and tried to message her, but her account was deactivated.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

My last hope was her Twitter account, so I sent her a message there:

Where are you? And why I can't contact you?

I composed myself though I was so worried about her. I lay down on the bed and relaxed my body that had been working all day because I helped Dad to create some plans for our new project.

I hadn't noticed that I fell asleep. When I woke up early in the morning, I quickly grabbed my phone and checked if I got a message from Demi, but I saw nothing. I checked my Twitter account. She hadn't seen my message yet. I inhaled and then exhaled before I sat up and combed my hair through my fingers. There's something wrong, I thought.

I went downstairs, and I saw Manang Linda in the iving room, rummaging in the cabinet placed below the flat screen television.

"Nang," I called her.

She turned her head to me with an anxious face. "Oh, Storm. Gising ka na pala." There was tension in her voice.

"Is everything all right?" I asked.

"O-oo naman. May hinahanap lang ako."

My brows furrowed a little bit. "What is it? May nawawala po ba?"

"Naku! Hindi, anak. Papel lang naman iyon. Nakalimutan ko kung saan ko nilagay."

"Is it important?"

"H-hindi naman. Sige na, mag-almusal ka na roon. Nakahanda na ang pagkain."

I just heaved a sigh and started to walk, but I stopped when I thought of asking her. I faced her and asked, "Nang, nagpunta ba rito si Demi kahapon?"

Mabilis na napatingin siya sa akin at tumango. "Oo. Ang kaso wala kayo ng Papa mo rito sa bahay."

"Wala po ba siyang nabanggit sa inyo?"

"Wala naman."

I just nodded my head and started to walk again, heading the kitchen.

***

The days passed by and I never saw Demi again. I asked her highschool and college friends, but they told me that they also had no contact with Demi. I had no choice but to trace her Auntie Jessie's house, and I found it.

"Good morning po," I greeted her politely.

A sweet smile formed on her lips when she saw me, and I thought she recognized me. "Hijo, napadaan ka rito?" she asked in a soft voice.

"Gusto ko lang po sanang itanong kung nariyan po ba si Demi?"

"Si Demi? Nasa America na si Demi ngayon kasama ang parents niya. Bakit? May kailangan ka ba?"

I paused for a few seconds as I felt something clench in my chest and my heart started to pound fast. I swallowed before I spoke, "Nothing, ma'am. I just want to visit her as her childhood friend," I said hiding the bitterness and pain in my voice. "May I know kung kailan po siya babalik rito sa Pilipinas?" I managed to ask.

"I don't know. Sa pagkakaalam ko kasi, doon na sila maninirahan."

I just calmly nodded my head although deep inside, I wanted to cuss. I felt annoyance. I said "goodbye" to Auntie Jessie and hopped into my car.