Chapter 22: Long Wait

I was just sitting here on one of the benches of the park with a bouquet of roses on my lap while watching the sunset on the beautiful view of the bay. I wore a white hoodie jacket and so that no one would ever notice me. Thank goodness, it was peaceful here because I could just count on my fingers the number of people in the place.

I knew that Demi's party would start at six o'clock and would end at nine o'clock in the evening, but I believed that it would probably extend because the celebrant needed to entertain the guests. I'd be waiting here for a few hours and I was cool with it. I enjoyed the view and the fresh air here. I felt at peace after my very exhausting activity last night. I joined gigs.

I put on my headphones and listened to different genres of songs while waiting. I didn't notice the time, until the sky went dark and started to bring out stars. I checked the time on my digital wristwatch: 9:56 PM

I didn't know that I was good at waiting. I should be upset now, but no, I wasn't upset but excited. I badly wanted to see Demi again and greet her "happy birthday."

I stood up and put the roses on the bench to stretch my body.

"Kuya, hinihintay po ba ninyo 'yung girlfriend ni'yo?"

I stopped when I heard a small voice behind me. I faced that person, and it was a little girl who had dirty clothes and messy hair and was holding a sack. She was a beggar. However, she looked so cute in my eyes. No one knew how much I loved kids. I guessed she was nine or ten years old.

A smile formed on my lips and then I knelt down to level myself to her. I removed my hood. "How did you know?" I asked, but I suddenly realized that this girl couldn't understand English. "Paano mo nalaman?" I translated it.

"Sus! Kuya, kahit hindi mo naman tagalugin, naiintindihan ko 'no! I know spoking in English kaya!" bibong sabi nito.

I looked at her with amusement and then grinned. "Oh really?" pagsakay ko sa kanya.

"Yes! I see you there kanina pa," aniya sabay turo sa bench na inuupuan ko kanina at naroon ang palumpon ng rosas na dala ko. "Tapos may bulaklak ka pa. Kaya I know it that . . . that . . ." She didn't know how to continue the sentence so I helped her.

"That it's for my girlfriend," I said.

"Oo 'yun nga!" she giggled. That made me chuckle. "Americano po ba kayo? Bat ang galing mo po mag-English?"

"One-fourth," I said.

"Ah," she reacted with nodding of head. "Sabi po ng nanay ko Amerikano tatay ko kaya po tinuturuan niya ako mag-English."

"Nasaan ang tatay mo?" I asked because I was curious why did they let this litte girl to be on the street alone? It was not safe here for a kid like her. As far as I knew, the guards here were not allowing a beggar to enter the subdivision because it was a private place.

Napakamot siya ng ulo. "Hindi ko po alam eh. Nagagalit si Nanay kapag tinatanong ko."

I felt pity for her so I became silent and just stared at her. Despite her jolly character, I could see sadness in her innocent eyes.

"Aalis na po ako. Wala po ba kayong ibibigay sa akin? Kanina pa po kasi ako magugutom." Nilahad niya ang kamay niya sa akin.