Chapter 32: Fight this Battle

Mom and Dad were startled when Auntie Jessie told them the truth about my health condition. Mommy cried to me, but I stayed calm, because I couldn't feel anything; I was dazed. They even argued about my condition, blaming themselves for not protecting me from that sickness, which made me feel more sick. According to them, cancer had been killing our family because we inherited this sickness from our descendants. But they could no longer do something about this. It was already here. All I could do was to fight and be brave.

As the days passed by, I kept myself away from my phone, not even touching it after I deactivated my social media accounts. Everyday I was thinking of Dylan, missing him like crazy, but to avoid him was better. Although I knew that what I did would freak him out, I trusted him. Dylan was a smart guy. He wouldn't do anything that would tear us apart.

It was early in the morning when I rushed to enter the bathroom to vomit. I felt so sick and dizzy.

"Mommy!" I shouted in apprehension while still kneeling on the floor with hands fastened to the toilet bowl and breathing heavily. My eyes started to moisten in fear.

I heard the door creak open. "Demi?" It was Mommy's voice. "Oh my God! What's wrong?" She rubbed my back while I was throwing up. Afterwards, she called Daddy to take me to the hospital.

***

I just dolefully watched the gold fishes swimming in a large aquarium while we were waiting for the result of my check-up. This view reinvigorate my weak and tired body somehow. I was interrupted when Mommy called me, because the doctor finally had the result.

"You vomited not just because of your sickness . . ." the doctor told me.

My heart started to pound faster in curiosity and nervous at the same time.

"What do you mean?" Mommy asked.

"She is pregnant," the doctor replied, which made my lips parted in surprise.

"W-what?" hindi makapaniwalang sabi ni Mommy. Tumingin siya sa akin nang may pagtatanong ngunit naglihis lamang ako ng tingin at napayuko.

"This can't be," I heard Dad said in vexation.

"H-how is that, doc? How can she fight leukemia if she's pregnant?" Mommy asked.

"That's possible, ma'am. Although chemotherapy has effects in the fetus, there are reports of cases with successful pregnancy . . ." The doctor explained her more about my treatment during pregnancy. He said there was only a very small chance for the baby to survive, so they could still not assure me that they could keep my baby during my treatment, but they assured me that they would do their best to save the baby.

I was scared, but it didn't cover the joy that I felt knowing that I was carrying Dylan's child. This urged me to gain more courage to fight this battle.

My parents were silent in the car while we were going home. I didn't know what was on their mind, but I knew that they were thinking about my pregnancy.

I sat on the couch when we finally arrived at home, resting my tired body. I was about to close my eyes when I heard Dad's voice.

"Who's the father?" he asked in a serious tone.

I turned my head to him. His brows were furrowed and I could see the fire of anger in his eyes while he was looking at me. Ito ang unang pagkakataon na nakita ko siyang ganito kagalit. My heart raced in fear and tension. I even felt the guilt in my heart for fooling them for how many years. I'd made them believe that I was a good girl all the time, but here I was, carrying a baby in my womb out of the blue.