iii

// TEDDY, house warming party \\

After taking enough shots for my vision to blur but not so many that I forget myself I sneaked away upstairs under the pretence of freshening up. The sounds of the party became distant as I lean against the balcony looking down towards the garden where, what looked like a very intense game of beer pong was taking place. you could tell because Ashton was dramatically flailing his arms in attempt to distract his opponent...Nick? Was it?
"Hiding from your own party?" The deep voice made me jump slightly "not very nice of you" he continued, humour lacing his tone. "Neither is creeping up on your host" my eyes inevitably squint while I retaliate and smile cheekily at the dread head. "My bad ma, was looking for somewhere to smoke without everyone getting up on me for some" he waved the blunt while looking down to the other party goers. My nonverbal response is only a nod while I blow out a raspberry, turning away from him once again. He falls into the space beside me, leaning on the glass and sparking. "You want some? ...would be rude not to share with my gracious host" he continues after acknowledging my raised eyebrow. Once again I only shrug and nod, inhaling deeply as we continue to pass it back and forth in comfortable silence. It's only disturbed when there's a loud groan and shouts of protest from below which cause me to only chuckle at my best friend's inability to let it up in his competitiveness. "He's a sore loser" is the only explanation I give Zion when he glances from the view below us and back to me. "And you don't mind that in a boyfriend?" I can only laugh slightly and shake my head. "You have no idea..we're friends, definitely not my boyfriend" humour laces my tone, there's some undertones but he doesn't know me well enough to detect them, or so I thought. "You sure about that?" There's silence as I inhale again. "He's been my best friend for the past five years, we initially bonded over a mutual friend but it just developed." He only nods thoughtfully. "Besides, all friendship is romantic, if that's how you wanna see it, a pretty thought no?" With that I hand him the rest of the blunt and prepare to head back inside. "Okay miss poet, how about a game of beer pong to develop this friendship?" He's smiling lopsidedly when I turn around by the door. Ignoring all thoughts, like always recently, I offer him my hand. "You're on, as long as you don't cry like a baby when I kick your ass": "Don't threaten me with a good time ma"