xxi

// TEDDY \\

One minute I'm squished between two of my friends in the backseat of the Uber, laughing at something Zion whispered in my ear. The next "This next one is a brand new single from the Australian band 5 seconds of summer, they've described it as a new sound and a preview of what's to come, here's Youngblood". As I listen to the lyrics the others in the car seem to quieten down. By the time we arrive at the party the radio host moves onto her commentary of the single. Someone gently grabs me and helps me out the car. When I come to, all of the boys are being ushered to go inside by Z. He stays outside with me, "you wanna talk about it?" I shake my head. "Let's get a drink...or five" I declare, throwing my arms around him. The others are already socialising in the kitchen when we walk through. Some people say hi to Zion as we walk through but he only nods his head and continues to guide me further inside, I grab his hand at one point when a random girl barges between us on her way past. "Let's do this" he hands me the first shot of many.

It's been however long, I've lost count of both the time and number of drinks I've consumed since we've arrived. "I know you don't want anyone asking but how're you feeling?" Caleb whispers in my ear, clearly intent on making good on his earlier promise to not let me out of his sight, not that I'm complaining. We hang back in the backyard with everyone,!Edwin retelling a funny story from a different party. "We move" I shrug and slur my words lightly. "I'm bored, let's dance" my declaration is followed by grabbing of his hands. I drag Z back inside as he shakes his head but smiles at me. There's a random song on that I don't know and at some point I unconsciously turn my back to meet his front. He hesitates but puts his hands around my waist, pulling me in closer. My heart is hammering in my chest, mind hazy, and I'm unsure if it's cause of his close proximity and body head or the music. Instead of thinking about it some more, my blurred head allows me to focus on right now. We're laughing, facing each other after a couple of songs and once someone pushes me from behind I stumble further into his arms. We're staring u to each other's eyes for some time, is he going to kiss me or what? Wait WHAT. I stumble at my thoughts. "Guys!! Help me, Nick is throwing up outside" Edwin runs up, dragging me through the dance floor, I just about manage to grab Zion's hand to follow. We stumble outside the house where Brandon is rubbing our friend's back while he heaves over the bush. Zion and I spare him one look before making eye contact and bursting into joint laughter, "I'm sorry..." I begin. "But why is he wearing a dress" Z continues the sentence for me. My belted laughter halts when I feel the drinks I consumed earlier crawling back up my throat. Before I know it, I'm standing beside the Italian, throwing up all the alcohol I managed to chug down earlier on. Someone grabs my hair into a makeshift ponytail, I recognise the hands rubbing my back softly as Zion's. "Let's get you both home" he offers. "I'm going to grab Austin...and Nick's clothes if I can find them" Edwin adds.

The drive back passes in a blur as I cuddle into Zion's side in unfiltered affection I might regret tomorrow. He's got a soft smile stuck on his face as he gently rubs up and down my exposed thigh. We somehow make it back and I stumble from the car to my own door. "I'll be right there!" I offer when the boys protest. Two minutes later my small figure runs through their door and into the living room where everyone is residing. "After party?" I offer, various bottles in my hands. "I don't think you should.." - "Fuck yeah!!" The dread heads protests are muted by Nick's enthusiastic shouting. Brandon assists as I expertly mix some made up drinks into the cups someone's grabbed for us. "Let's play a game" it's Edwin who proposes few minutes later, when both Maggie and Ansley join us. Everyone agrees within their own time and we begin a simple game of truth or dare, sat in a clumsy circle on the floor. I'm situated between both the girls, catching them up on the party they missed. "Enough gossip T, truth or dare?" Smirks Nick. "I'll take a truth shark boy" I return his expression, others snickering around us. "Just for that, who do you find the most attractive in this room?" My lips quirk up further. "Z. Was that meant to be hard?" I state and tease lightly. Zion coughs while our friends laugh, "I mean...back at you baby girl" he eventually states to which I blow him a kiss jokingly. The game continues on, some of us aka Brandon having to kiss Austin for a few seconds and Z jumping in the pool naked. Not that I'm complaining wait what. At some point, we shuffle around and I'm situated in his lap, as per Maggie's dare, to which she winks at me knowingly. I shiver and feel the taller boy move around behind me before he instructs me to lift my hands as he throws the hoodie over my head, his hands travel underneath it, softly rubbing my back. The game dies down with time, Austin plays some music and I'm the first to stumble up and dance around on the sofa, Maggie joining me within the song. "He doesn't take his eyes off of you huh" she whispers in my ear, giggling. My face displays clear confusion, I think, because I lost control of my expressions earlier on in the night. When she points, rather obviously, my eyes catch Zion's from across the room, his awkward smile turns blinding and my heart stumbles in my chest. My brows furrow on their own accord "he's just looking out for me" I defend. "T, we're in their house, with just the boys, me, ansley and you." She points out, "that's not worry, he's looking cause you look like you've strolled straight out of a magazine cover" I laugh in disbelief at the exaggeration before it transforms into a yawn. Zion is by my side within moments, "cmon let get you to bed babygirl" he's words are accompanied by a gentle grab at my hand. We say our goodbyes and good nights as he pulls me in the direction of his bedroom. "I could just go next door you know" I point out softly from behind him. "Yeah but neither of us really want that ma" he's tone is light. "Now put this T-shirt on and climb in the bed so I can hold you" he continues, throwing a piece of fabric in my direction. I do as I'm told, drifting off in his arms soon after.