viii

// ZION \\

I'm dancing on the kitchen table to the sound of a Drake classic as Brandon laughs and records the whole thing. "Live in the moment B" I wrap my arm around his shoulder whilst jumping down for another refill. "I think you've had enough Z" his hint barely registers in my mind. "At least let me live in my moment damn" he only scoffs and I don't realise some of my words are slurring together. "When did you become such a sloppy drunk Caleb" we both turn to the entrance staring at our cute neighbour. Brandon is the first to react, moving towards Teddy to receive a hug. I swallow and pour myself another drink before reluctantly heading over. "hey T, didn't know if you'd actually be back in time" she hugs me and smiles, ugH. "Got to make time to show up for my favourite band" she jokes and we laugh. "Don't let Ash hear you say that" Nick pops up out of nowhere, greeting our guest and slipping between her and I. "He would have to suck it up and get over it." She only answers with a shrug while looking around on her tiptoes. "Where's the rest of the backstreet boys?" With that Nick offers her directions to where my other two brothers are hanging out outside on the patio. I follow the rest of them, not without emptying the rest of my cup and grabbing a refill.

It's been two hours and I'm leaning against the entrance to the backdoor for balance, while watching the girl I've been trying to get out of my mind laugh at something Austin had said. She's swaying to the beat and only swirling the poison in her cup every other minute without taking a sip. I've never been so entranced by anyone doing something so mundane before in my life and it's throwing me off my game with just about any and every girl who's come my way this evening. I've thought about it, long and hard for the past two nights instead of playing fortnite like I usually do. Lately, instead of my Xbox it's my neighbour that's unknowingly causing the bags under my eyes. I can't compete...so I won't. It's as simple as that so why is it so fucking hard to not stumble over to her right now and wrap my arms around her tiny self. My train of thought only deteriorates from there, everything fades, just like the room has been for the past half an hour, so this will too. With that in mind, I make my way back inside, not realising the others have followed.

// TEDDY \\

My eyes wander while Austin tries to remember the name of a thrift shop he's been raving about for the past five minutes. I only catch a glimpse of a messy head of dreads stumbling further down the hallway. "We should check on him" the blonde boy only smiles at me with something I can't and won't bother trying to decipher as he follows me inside. My head is swimming with worry for my giant of a neighbour and friend, he's been all over the place all night, more so than his usual energetic self. B and I stopped counting after his 5th drink since my late arrival. These anxieties are quelled by the view of Zion leaning over an unknown girl laying down on the kitchen counter. There's hollers and whistles as he licks around her belly button but Brandon only makes a face at me when I catch his eye across the room, to which I shrug. "Never mind I think he's fine" I say and turn around to the boy accompanying me and feel my eyes roll to the back of my head. "He's got no idea what he's doing" austin shakes his head and grabs someone's phone to stop their recording of the entire circus. "Dude what are you playing at? That's not cool" My eyes transform into slits while this stranger only glares in return. "What the fuck is your problem? It's a party, have a drink and stop being such an uptight bitch" his words are followed by a staggered but harsh grip on my wrist, which is tugged off before I even begin to gather my anger. "What did you just call her bro? Fuck outta here disrespecting her like that" the growl behind me is undeniable as Zion's chest presses against my back. The annoying drunk seems to have disappeared along with our mutual blonde haired friend by the time I come to my senses. I don't realise Z has been talking until he turns me around gently and leans on me ever so slightly by wrapping his arms around my neck. "...honestly I don't know how half these people get inside, we need to start screening ID's or some shit, I'm sorry" in the moment, my only response is to softly cradle his cheek and rub across it softly with my thumb. Once reality sets in and my immediate reaction is to cower back, he only digs his face further into my palm, making me laugh. "How many drinks have you had Caleb?" the question is met with furrowed brows and a pouting lip. "Not that many..." he trails off while swaying with me in the hallway. "Right, let's get you some water" I still insist and step away. While his hands are falling from around me the sweet boy frowns "wait I", "yeah?" He looks like he's struggling with his words for a few seconds before I realise he's gone awfully pale and drag him up the stairs immediately. A short while later I'm rubbing his back softly while he heaves into the open toilet. "I'm just gonna grab you some water and something for your head" my reassurance is met by his whining and protests. I sigh and text Brandon. He shows up a short while later with Ed in tow. "How is he?" both the boys faces are covered with worry. "He'll be fine, I think it's all out his system now anyways, can't imagine he will feel great come morning though' I respond while taking the pills and bottle of water from their hands. "You guys can go back if you want, I'm already here with him and I'll just make sure he's all settled before I head out, I'm exhausted from my flight anyways" the nod at my reassurance and are gone by the time I'm shaking the dreadhead gently awake. He only fights with me about drinking the entire bottle of water until I make an over exaggerated pouty face. We both laugh "you're so annoying" "yeah well you're gonna thank this annoying ass tomorrow" is my retaliation while I force him to get up off the floor and in the direction of his bed next door. Once he's all settled in Zion starts undoing his belt and I turn away to give him some privacy. "You can turn around now" at this I face him again and begin to tuck the boy in. His giggles cease my actions "what are you doing peaches?" He raises his eyebrow when I make eye contact. "That's a new one huh" I'm diverting I know. I continue my earlier actions and grab his bin, dragging it over near the bed before giving him a last gentle smile while i stuff my hands in my pockets. "I'm gonna head back now, was only meant to pop in to see you guys for a bit to begin with" Z nods, deep in thought. When my hand is on the door knob his sleepy voice halts me. "About earlier..." he continues when I look over my shoulder "I just wanted to hold...I just wanted to say I'm sorry about Calum. You deserved better than whatever shit went down I'm sure." by the time his jumbled sentence is finished and I've made sense of the words between his slurring my brain short circuits. All I see is red. "You have no idea what you're talking about" I exclaim. I'm out of the door and marching through the house within what feels like seconds. What the actual fuck.
A series of knocks on the front door interrupts my angry stewing before I can drill a hole in the kitchen floor. "Z go to sleep, we can talk about it when you're- why are you here?"

[who do u think it is lol]