Sometimes it's too late...

You let yourself slide down the tree. It was dark, you hadn't a clue where you were but you knew you had been attacked, most likely by your ex. Before you joined the gang you were involved in some bad business. They say the past always follows you.

You were barely conscious, but you were aware enough to notice the sharp pain just below your heart. You didn't know if the pain was coming from the bullet wound that was located just on your shoulder, or the aching pain of possibly never seeing Arthur again.
Your breathing hitched at that thought.

Loosing him.

How he would react, he'd be broken.

Arthur was the type of person to never show emotion, but when it came to you he was the most emotional person you'd ever met.
Cloudjumper stood just off to your right, she was alert, but not leaving your side. Arthur had let you ride her, due to your horse being killed in gunfire.

She was a good girl, you didn't want this to be the last time you would see her, but that's all it felt like.
What would Arthur think? That you'd just taken his horse and ran off? This mission was supposed to be a three day trip at most, today was the third day, and today was over.
Your heart skipped when you heard a twig snap behind the tree you had taken temporary rest by.
This was it.

You were done, they had finally tracked you down.
Your mind began to go over all the possible ways they could have done so.
The blood trail you left as you snuck out of the basement.
The groans you made as you nearly fell off of your mount.
Maybe it was because you'd always been terrible at sneaking.

Cloudjumper was calm.

That's odd... you thought to yourself.
She was a fairly jumpy horse, why would she stay this calm... unless-

"Y/n?" You heard Arthur call out in a whisper.

"Y/n! Please answer if you're out there" he pleaded.
He had come for you.
You were gonna be alright.

"A-Arty I'm here" you spoke, your voice was hoarse. Only a whisper now.
Something felt off. You didn't feel right. Maybe it was just the blood loss

"Oh my god- y/n I'm so glad I found you I was so worried I-" he stopped.
His hand hovered over your wound.

Arthur's heart sank. A wound like this wasn't something you recovered from.
"Y/n I'm here, I'm here" he whispered as he pulled you into his chest.

"Arthur it- it hurts so much" you whispered.

"I know, I know, come on there's still a chance I'll just get Cloudjumper and-"
You stopped him, placing your thumb on his lips gently, like he'd once done for you when you had a panic attack.

"Y/n lets go! I can save you.. please" Arthur's voice shook almost more than your breath was.

"Arthur, I'm not going to make it, I can feel it" you winced.

"Y/n please don't say that" Arthur whimpered.

You felt him squeeze your hand tighter.
He sobbed, then again, and again. Until his eyes were pouring all his pain.

"Arthur, I really love you, please remember that" you assured him.

"Y/n I- ... y/n...?"

Arthur felt your hand slip out of his, that's all it took, he knew you'd gone now.
Arthur's lip quivered. He felt his heart skip a beat, as the realization hit.
You were gone.

No more late night talks, no more comforting each other, no more good mornings and good nights.
He sat there, holding you as close as possible, as you had always done to him, and cried.
Arthur cried and cried until his cries were silent and hoarse, until his eyes were bloodshot and he could barely breathe.

He was just too late...