Opening Day

"Congratulations, Giuseppe." Donato, the contractor says to me. "It is amazing what you did with this old farmhouse."
"Thanks, Donato and please call me Joe. Anyway, I have to say it is I that has to congratulate you. You have made it all possible."
"You are too nice. Let us say that was team effort."
"To our team then." I say raising my glass.
"Yes drink to that." After a sip he continues. "Still, I am surprised in what you did just two weeks."
"What do you mean?"
"We finished two weeks ago, on day you came back from London. In two weeks you furnish the entire place and do an opening."
"Ohh, thanks for the compliment, but it was not that hard. Most of the stuff was bought already and stored at the seller. So all I did was to tell them to deliver and install."  I actually say a half lie. Part of the reason I was so quick was that I worked like crazy to forget about Francesco. I can't believe I don't even know his real name. I was so self absorbed that I did not even bother to ask him. I guess the inspector was right the whole affair was changing me. More then what I was willing to admit. Donato brings me back to the present.
"It is good for you. I see you already have clients."
"Yes that was lucky I guess. They checked in yesterday and leaving tomorrow. A good test run."
My phone rings.
"I am sorry." I tell Donato as I pick the phone and start moving away.
"Please" I hear in the background as I press the talk button.
"Hello, Mr Romano." I recognize Vladimir instantly, same pleasant smile as always even over the phone.
"Mr Stenski. Nice to hear you." I try to hide the fact that I am worried. I decide to make him guide the conversation for now, a good tactic during the beginning of negotiations to find out what the opposite party knows and puts on the table before making your offer.
"I realized that you opened your b&b, saw it on the net, and called to congratulate you."
"Ohh, thank you. That is very kind of you."
"Must have been hard to do. But the pictures I saw on the net are very nice."
"Once again thank you. Yes it was hard but worth the effort."
"How is Francesco?" I knew is name would come up. I could lie, but something in the back of my mind sends a strong signal. I decide to be vague for now.
"He is doing good, thanks for asking."
"Is he with you?"
Be vague but don't lie.
"No, not at the moment."
"Is he being troublesome?"
"No, not at all." I haven't even any idea of where he is, guess better not say that. "What makes you even think something like that?"
"It is just a suggestion, but I think that, especially now that he is new at this, is not a good idea to let him alone so far away from you."
Shit he must knows where Francesco is and why wouldn't he. I am sure they have a copy of the software and can log on his coordinates.
"Thanks for the advice, I think I will keep him closer."
"Good then. Please remember that we do offer, how did you put it when we met? A full after sale service. We already recuperated run away slaves and brought them back to their masters."
"I don't doubt you have the capability." Open the cards and tell them that I know, they know, where he is and everything is under control, "Thanks a lot. I will keep it in mind. Even if I don't think a recovery will be necessary. Francesco is actually well behaved."
"Good well. I let you enjoy your evening. Maybe I can reserve a room in the near future to see you and Francesco. But also your establishment, it really does look amazing."
"Great, it will be a pleasure. Looking forward to it."
After some more small talk he finally hangs up. I wipe the sweat that gathered on my brow.
I make another call.
"Pronto?" I recognize a sleepy De Laurentis.
"Inspector, it's Joe Romano."
"Oh, hello Mr. Romano. How are you?"
"Quite good." I go straight to the point, "I received a curtesy call from Vladimir. I think he knows where Francesco is, and even offered to pick him up for me."
"What!"
"I said..."
"I actually understood you, I was just tired and ready for bed. I did not mean to say... Forget it."
I look at the time, I didn't realize it was this late. "Sorry" I add.
"Don't panic, everything will be alright."
"Don't panic you say? He is planning a curtesy visit to see how Francesco and I are doing."
"Ok, still, he will probably not come uninvited. So when you have a date, we will deal with it. We can always fly him there in no time to keep the cover up if necessary."
"I guess so," I calm down slightly but am still not convinced. "How is Francesco anyway?" Then add without thinking, "Do you actually know his real name?"
"To the first question I would say that he must be ok, I did not hear any bad reports. To the second, I have no idea. I did not ask."
"Oh, too bad."
"When was the last time you saw him?" I add with a bit on envy, since I left him I feel I let him down and I can't help stop thinking about him.
"When I dropped him off to the clinic, two weeks ago."
He sounds totally unconcerned, does anyone actually gives a damn about this kid? A clinic? A warning bell rings loud and clear.
"A clinic? What kind of a clinic?"
"It is an associate professor that works with us on special cases. He is a surgeon doctor. He has a clinic near Firenze and he is running some tests on the implant." Now that bell just became a siren, a screaming siren.
"I think I will take a quick trip up there. Just to see him." I add without realizing it.
"Mr. Romano, I do not think it is a good idea."
"Look I just want to make sure the kid is alright. It will not take a lot of time. You owe me at least that after what you put me through."
"Fine, it is your time." He seems tired and just gives in. "When will you come?"
"I was thinking of driving up tomorrow."
"You will be here in the evening. Let us meet the day after tomorrow. You will see, there is nothing to worry about."
"Great, see you Friday then."
"Sure." He adds tiredly, "good bye."
"Good bye"
Tomorrow right after the guests' check out I will hit the road.